H&M in Cork

Diziet

I entered the brave new world of the Cork H&M today. All gleaming glass, shiny new.

I had a little mooch around prices as I quite liked their kiddies' clothes. A lovely little purple cardigan was €12.95. A little expensive but not too bad, until I saw that the sterling price was £7.99.

Let's call it 8 quid. The exchange rate is around 1.10. For the sake of argument, let's up it to 1.25 and add on a bit to take account of extra costs in Ireland - 1.35. That's still €10.80, so there is another €2 added on. A very nice little earner. The mark-up for smaller items such as hair accessories was even higher. Other items had the sterling value masked off.

I generally vote with my feet in these situations and this is what I did on this occasion too. My 8 year old asked why the item was not bought, so there was also an impromptu lesson about exchange rates, doing business in Ireland and using one's brain while shopping. A good way to show the importance of mathematics to an 8 year old, but irritating nevertheless.

Diziet, better still, why don't you put pen to paper and write to the Store Management. It really is about time to deal with the people that think that Paddy s there to take P**s out of.

Diziet, better still, why don't you put pen to paper and write to the Store Management. It really is about time to deal with the people that think that Paddy s there to take P**s out of.

I think I will. I actually tried to find someone in authority to speak to in the store, but not a chance.

Things still much the same in M&S too. Was in Sprucefield and saw 2 Per Una items for £29.50 each that are selling for €40 and €45 respectively in Dublin. And those nice boxes of Turkish, Nougat, etc., that are 3 for €9 here are 3 for £6 up there.

Then there was the coat in Monsoon, Newry - dual priced - £155 and €235....

I noticed that the magazine prices have gone up again too - film mag costing £3.99 was priced at €5.60 in mid-summer, now it's €5.94

was in boots last week when they were putting out the 3 for 2 christmas stock and heard the manager saying to the staff to make sure the sterling price was off. She was remarking on how easy it is to tear some of them off this year compared to last, so not so time consuming.

Back