gym membership suspension

Istabraq1

I have been a member of Jackie Skelly gym in Newbridge since July 08. I'm very happy using the gym so continued after my 12 month contract period was up.
I am have having a serious operation in a few weeks and was enquiring about availing of the 3 month suspension of my gym membership Jackie Skelly offers. On enquiring about it I was told, no problem but it would cost me 45 euro for admin!!! In my book this is extortion. I don't think I should have to pay any fee for someone simply clicking a few buttons on a computer to temporarily suspend my membership for a few months, and certainly not that technically speaking I am out of contract with them. I really want to go back using the gym after I recover from my surgery so I don't want to go nuclear on them and tell them to shove everything and cancel my DD.
Any advice on what my next move should be??

Re: gym memebership suspension

Dont want to do that mate, because I want to go back using the gym when I am well enough after my surgery

Re: gym memebership suspension

Tell them that you are thinking of cancelling. Ask to speak to the PR person. If there are other gyms in Newbridge you'll get a result, I imagine.

Doesn't JS have a 2-month cancellation notice period? So even cancelling will cost you 2 months fees?

Is there not a good gym in the Keadeen?? Could use it as bargaining currency when you speak to the marketing manager of skellys... or just join there after op.

When I told them, via the phone I was cancelling my membership, was told it would only be accepted in writing (this was out of my 12 months too)
I cancelled my DD, only for them to dig out my CC details and charge to this
(which took me a month to notice)

My question, which I never received a satisfying answer from bank or gym
was the legality of an un-authorized CC transaction!

I took out a 4 month membership with Jackie Skelly but, despite numerous emails to them, they never confirmed it in writing. I paid them the 4 month’s fees but never used the facilities even once. Now they are harassing me by email, phone & letter for the full 12 months fee. I am prepared to take them to the Small Claims Court. I have written to the National Consumer Agency for advice. My only concern is that they will pass my case over to a debt collection agency etc. Any similar experiences out there?

Back