GWA

T

Teabag

I was stopped by Gardai for tax/insurance last week. My insurance was out (by 4 days) but I luckily had the new disc in my wallet. I just forgot to put it in the pouch.
Anyway, I explained this to the Guard and showed him the new disc. He started giving me dirty looks and big long pauses and then told me in a real arrogant way to make sure I always had the correct insurance disc on display. I felt like a criminal even though I had done nothing wrong (or very little). My complaint is that I feel many Gardai have a bad attitude and somehow manage to make me feel guilty of something when I'm not.
I even get this even getting a form stamped in the station. Maybe I have a guilty conscience but I do think they could be a bit friendlier and understanding.

Technically you did do something wrong, but not very much as you say. I've had insurance up to a month out of date
while waiting to change insurers and the hassle that can sometimes go with what should be a simple move.

Anytime a Garda has noticed this I've just told them I'm waiting on the disk, and there's no more to it.

I did get pulled over by a Garda years ago in Palmerstown because he got it into his head that I'd stolen the car. I noticed him following me (unmarked car, didn't know it was a garda, late at night) so I drove into a housing estate to see if I really was being followed. After a few minutes he pulled me over and was a real d**k***d about it, even when he realised it was my car and I was doing nothing wrong.

So I can empathise that some of them can be as you described, but in general with things like Licence, Tax, Insurance I find them OK.

Incidently I've noticed a marked improvement in their attitude since I stopped driving BMW's and started driving SEATs. Dunno what that's all about.

-Rd

I've had plenty of bad experiences with gardai over the years. There's plenty of bad apples out there alright.

Mind you, in all my forgetfulness with moving house recently I forgot to buy my car tax. I was a month overdue when I got spot checked in Terenure a week ago. Garda looked at my disc and at me and told me I was a month out of date. I think he saw the genuine shock on my face. Just said to me, "you'd better get that sorted eh?". That was it. He could have been a lot worse...so they're not all that bad I guess.

Still don't like 'em all that much though :)

I dont think they essentially bad people (most of them) but they must do some kind of Garda Attitude course in Templemore that I dont agree with. A friendly smile now and again rather than a constant dirty accusing look would help. God help me if I actually was guilty of someting...

dalton, I drive a SEAT so it cant be that...

I was parked outside a shop the other day waiting for my father in law to come out. It was ten past seven on a road that was a clearway 'till seven. There was a loud knock on the window which startled me and when I put the window down a Garda in a biker uniform told me to move. As in the entire conversation consisted of;
Garda, "Move".
Me, "!"
I then recovered my bearings and told him I was waiting for someone in the shop and that as far as I knew it was after seven o'clock and the road was no longer a clearway.
His response was (direct quote);
"I don't give a ****, you are causing an obstruction. Move your fucking car".
I then pointed out that his colourful language was not necessary and not appreciated. He didn't take well to that either, I think I hurt his feelings, and he said that if I didn't move he would arrest me.
I told him to go ahead and that I'd enjoy the day out.
At that stage the father in law came out of the shop and got into the back seat of the car (not wanting to push past the nice police man). I told the Garda I was going and he said that if he saw me there again I would get a ticket. I considered the climb down from the threatened arrest a moral victory of sorts.
It did strike me that if that is the way that the Gardai talk to everyone then it is small wonder that lots of people think that they are a bunch of ignorant lazy buffoons. Personally I have the highest regard the An Gardai.

The correct response in that situation is,
can I have your badge number and station please.

If you have a piece of paper and a pen and you can say it in the way they talk to civilians it really pisses them off.

(Without Eye Contact - Matter of Fact, almost bored voice)
"Badge Number?" (Wait for response)
"Station?" (Wait For Response)

I'm not advocating pissing off the Gardai, especially if you are actually in the wrong. But if you've done nothing wrong, and you're still getting attitude, then you might as well at least have a bit of fun with it.

If you really won't to be a bit risky, you can try the following.
"Do you know me Da Joe Bloggs he's a Garda in XYZ station"

If the attitude suddenly changes and he's going to let you away, you can confess, "Me Da's not really a Garda, but it's nice to know that if he was I'd have gotten away with whatever I was doing".

Again, not advocating screwing with the minds of Ireland's Finest. But if you're getting gip and you've done nothing, and you know the risks. Then go crazy. If you spend a night in the cells the Dinner Party Story will be all the more interesting.

Remember They started it! :)

-Rd

Re: Remember they started it!

Ditto to the last two posts.

Primo — on balance, and on the basis of 20+ years dealing with them, I have a high regard for your average Gárda, and would never fork with them just for the sake of it. I've lived abroad and have frequently had occasion to be thankful for the quality and general humaneness of service rendered by our own 'finest' (compared to, say, your carabinieri or gendarmes — again generalising...) Most of them, most of the time, do a sh1tty job that I wouldn't wish for any of my kids. And I dare say most of those good'uns would endorse the view that the law-abiding citizen/taxpayer deserves the utmost respect from any representative of his/her police force, and should settle for nothing less...

That said — it's in the nature of the job (IMHO) that they will attract rather more than their fair share of stroppy little boll*xes who think they're the big man because they're 6' tall, wear a badge and drive a big feck-off car/bike (especially the latter, sorry to say, as an ex-biker meself..! ;) ) — I'd start a rant here about how they need more women in the force, except that (a) it would be sidetracking, and (b) I'm afraid I've come across a couple of 'Ban Gord-eee' in recent years that would put your average MCP to shame..!

But — to get back to Rd's point — yes, in a situation where you are (100%!) sure you've done no wrong, and some young fella is just being plain boorish — then give 'em lackery! Politely, civilly, even robotically, à leur manière... (nothing makes them madder :D ). Be prepared to make a formal statement, if it's required. Or lodge a formal complaint. Or ring Joe Duffy/Gerry Ryan! You'll feel better, and you'll be doing a favour to
(a) the general public, and
(b) good cops everywhere.

Bémol — I'm not so naïve as to think that such a gesture/statement/complaint will necessarily produce any immediate or tangible result, but...(!):rolleyes

Re: Remember they started it!

Everybodies got a Garda story.
They certainly have an image problem.

In case of confusion

In case anyones in any doubt. Asking a garda for badge number and station is within your rights, and howyou ask is up to you.

Telling him your Da's a garda is lying (unless he is) and that's illegal. Break the law at your own risk.

At the end of the day, they are just guys and gals doing a job, and you get assholes in every walk of life, and they should all be dealt with in the same way. By making fun of their superiority complex. Works every time.

Don't go into a Garda checkpoint assuming you'll get an asshole though. On balance the good ones outnumber the bad ones, so the odds are you'll be ok.

-Rd

Re: In case of confusion

Also remember that you better be fully compliant in all other respects (lights working on car, tyres etc.) before trying to make the gardai feel uncomfortable, or they might just find some other way of making life difficult for you!

Back