Growing fruit in garden

german

Getting landscaping job done on garden in 2 weeks.
On the way back from holidays in north of Spain and the house we stayed in had grapes, cranberries, raspberries, apples etc growing in the garden.

I tried to plant cranberry shoots last year but no result. Has anyone any suggestions on low maintenance fruit growing as I'd be keen to throw something in like that rather than just useless shrubs etc?

Thanks

We grow apples, raspberries, black currents, small but sweet grapes, figs, gooseberries, cherries and tomatoes.
All of them thrive, apart from the cherries. The birds get to the raspberries first, but we mind because they probably need them more than we do.

We also have a sweet chestnut tree planted, but will have to wait a few more years for it to mature.

All of these plants, apart from the grapes, are low maintenance. The raspberries are practically wild 'weeds'.

I would suggest trying some things out and see what works. Apple and pear trees should work well in Ireland - try a different variety that you might not get in shops.

Please don't neglect 'useless' shrubs. If you plant some native ones, you might help the local insects and we need those.

I grow all the above plus a beautiful peach tree. Can't remeber where I purchased it. Strawberries are also great. All very rewarding and not much work.

Yeah, strawberries are easy enough. Although make sure to trim the runners. You don't want them using all their energy trying to propogate.

We've had great success (and low maintenance) with raspberries and blueberries. Just put down black current, red current and tay berries although don't expect to see much out of them till next year.

Birds are a problem though...nothing a net can't sort out though.

Hi Agree with all of the above. Cranberries will grow but like bog-like and peaty conditions this is how they're grown comercially. Blueberries do great too but the plants are pricey. On the fruit tree front look for 2 varieties grown on 1 root stock. Cool to see red and green apples on 1 tree and the 2 varieties cross fertilize each other. Handy if limited for space

Back