Grocery delivery to house -Am I expected to tip the delivery person? how much?

Noor77

Hi

I am getting my groceries delivered to my house for the first time at the weekend, with Tesco. Am I expected to tip the delivery person ... and if so, how much?

Thanks!

Noor

No.

The delivery person is getting paid adequately for your delivery as are all the other staff who prepare your delivery and they don't/will not see any of the tip so why should you tip the final person in the chain.

Tipping is a nice gesture for a GOOD service in a restaurant but where wages are adequate for the service provided I do not see the need for a tip.

I think Irish people have this attitude to tip for services whether its good or bad as its the thing to do but poor service should not be encouraged.

Anyone with experience of working in the US will understand this where you really have to earn your tip and your fixed wages are crap/non-existent in the first place.

No. Have never tipped the delivery guy. They're usually out the door so quickly, you wouldn't have a chance.

Tip him at Christmas.

Otherwise, offer him a glass of cold water or juice if the weather is hot. Other than that, don't bother.

Thanks for the replies guys ... I just wasn't sure what the practice was. I'm getting a bit worried about it now ... just looked at my confirmation and it says my groceries will be delivered "without bags" .... :-0 .... I must have done something wrong!

Thanks for the replies guys ... I just wasn't sure what the practice was. I'm getting a bit worried about it now ... just looked at my confirmation and it says my groceries will be delivered "without bags" .... :-0 .... I must have done something wrong!

that's normal - you have to buy the bags anyway - do you want to be charged extra for plastic bags you might not need? they deliver it straight to your kitchen in crates anyway so you can just take out the goods and put it immediately where it belongs to - can't see the problem

What happens to the crates? Is there an initial charge for them? Looking for something to "pot on" my seedlings in to.

What happens to the crates? Is there an initial charge for them? Looking for something to "pot on" my seedlings in to.

No, the guy carries the full crates into your kitchen, helps you empty the crates and takes away the empty crates.

I'd usually give a small tip, sometimes whatever small change I have or perhaps around E2.

No, I would treat it the same as milkman, postman etc that you normally give a tip to at Xmas if you are happy with their service during the year.

My friend tips them something small when they help her put away the stuff as oppose to just leaving it. Going off topic a bit but I don't agree with tipping public servants such as co. co. binmen, GMS gp's from medical card patients (I know they are not public servants but they have been paid already). Not sure about postmen but if they are on a good wage and pension why would you tip them for doing their job. The postman mostly delivers bills to me. If I was to tip him for that, I should tip the person who delivers the charity bag stickers everyday.

I am starting to think I should probably tip, although I do feel a bit uncomfortable about the whole thing. Is €2 sufficient .... maybe €3?

You are already paying extra to have your groceries delivered. Why do you feel that you should tip the delivery person? Don't feel as if you have to. You are paying for a service, the delivery person is dong what they are paid to do. An offer of a cold glass of water on a hot day is enough IMO.

If delivery was free I could understand tipping €2 or €3, but otherwise, no.

So, he (or she) won't be expecting a tip? I always tip the pizza delivery person ...

your delivery person is probably earning little above minimum wage so if they do 10 deliveries and get a €2 euro tip form each then that €20 will make a difference to their day.

They will feel better, you will feel better and the world will be a nicer place.

Hi All

Just to let you know, I didn't tip ... and it didn't feel strange not to.

Thanks again

Noor

No, the guy carries the full crates into your kitchen, helps you empty the crates and takes away the empty crates.

In my area, they leave the crates with you and collect the empties at the next delivery - I only use the serivce occasionally, so sometimes there's several weeks between deliveries.

In my area, they leave the crates with you and collect the empties at the next delivery - I only use the serivce occasionally, so sometimes there's several weeks between deliveries.

Same here, Tesco leave the crates behind and collect them if I leave them out. They've never requested them so I'd say there's no issue in using the odd one.

Back