Griffin Rath Manor - Maynooth

ZZZ999

Can anyone offer me advice on the new Griffin Rath estate? Myself, my partner and our two dogs are thinking of buying one of the detached dormer bungalows in Griffin Rath. The area seems nice but there is a lack of green areas to run our dogs. The estate itself doesn't really have any green areas to speak of, so anyone know of good parks/fields up near that estate where I could tire out two energetic dogs??? I am moving from Lucan where we are spoiled for choice with green areas and parks but just want out of the estate we are in.

Any advice or help would be appreciated!

Hi zzz999

Have you managed to get a reply from the agents then?? Not sure if you are looking at buying new, but my sis is looking at that area and we have sent a couple of emails to the agents re prices, availability, completions ect but have NEVER received a reply back. We got sick of enquiring. So much for a recession!

Anyway, the houses do look nice. Just to let you know I think the N4 runs along the back of the estate. I agree, there seems to be a significant lack of green areas and half of the estate is quite cramped together. But I think it is in a very nice location in Maynooth. I like the design of the dormers in particular, and it is next door to 2 primary schools.

I'm not sure if I can think of any parks, I know Dondea forest is a couple of miles away. There might be a canal walk. Maybe someone else can help out. I know the 'Kildare' section of boards.ie might help you out too.

If you or anyone have any info about the current prices- can they please post them!!! :D:D

Thanks for the reply Pixied. The house we are interested in is actually 3 years old, the houses on the left as you drive in, which were most likely completed first, so we don't have the hassle of trying to contact the agent for the development (best of luck with that - I can't believe they aren't eager to sell or return a phone call!!).

I love the house and the area seems to be great, not too far from the town but far enough to be nice and quiet. The house we are thinking of getting shouldn't be too affected by the N4 noise. However the green areas is still really bothering me!

Anyone out there who knows of anywhere to walk dogs (without having to get in my car and drive for miles!!).

The Royal Canal runs through Maynooth, it crosses under the road beside the railway station, just south of the Glenroyal Hotel. You can walk your dogs as far as Dublin in one direction, and to Longford in the other!

Thanks Lollix

I have no doubt the canal walk would be great at weekends or when I have the time to drive down there to start my walk, but I am thinking more about when I get home at 7pm in the evenings and there's not even a space large enough to throw a ball for my dogs without them going onto the road. In the estate we currently live in we have two or three large greens within the estate so we're spoiled on that front. You may think I am being over the top about walking the dogs but they really need a good run in the evenings (off the lead if possible) so walking along the main road is not an option. I don't have kids (and never will) so the dogs are the priority in our lives.

Thanks anyway.

Hi ZZZ999

My sis had a big concern about the lack of a green too, otherwise it would have been a very straight forward choice for her. I think the plans include a small green further down that left turn,in the unfinished area, but that it is a small green.

Also, seeing as we did not hear back from the agent we were concerned that maybe they were not finishing the estate..that was back in early october, maybe they have re-commenced work since then???

Have you thought about looking at the 'Parklands' estate in Maynooth? It is right next to the canal the earlier poster mentioned and has lots of greens. It is one of Maynooths more residential estates and has seen some house price decreases in the last month. It is also opposite the railway station and walking distance to town.

Best of luck,
P :)

Hi ZZZ999

I've been living in Griffin Rath for the last 2 years and love it. You're right in saying that there aren't many large open spaces, although there is a decent size green in Griffin Rath Hall (turn right when you get into the estate). Not sure how large your dogs are, but it is a decent size space, lots of people play football etc there so it might be ok for a quick run around in the evenings

Otherwise the canal is fine for a walk as others have said, or if you fancy a longer walk there are some lovely walks down in Carton estate, of various lengths.

The dormers are really lovely, nice size and layour and good space to the front and back. Hope it all works out for you

Hi Suntot

Thanks for your feedback. We took another spin out to view the house last Saturday and investigated the area a bit more. We drove around the whole estate and did find that larger green area you mentioned, which makes me feel a little better. Once the estate is finished (do you know when that is meant to be??) there will also be a long stretch of green area parallel to the N4 within the estate. Our dogs are quite big but I imagine a walk around those greens in the morning would be more than enough for them (they are too spoilt!).

The more I see the house the more I like it, so I reckon we will probably go for it. The area seems lovely and you seem happy therre after two years, which is good to hear.

Thanks for your help!

Hi

ZZZ999 - I'm glad things are working out. It does look like a nice place.

Suntot- as a resident do you know anything about how the completion of the estate is progressing??

Thanks Pixied.

When we were down at Griffin Rath last Saturday there seemed to be a bit of activity regarding builders on-site but who knows when the finishing date will be. IF we buy the dormer, we want to add a garage onto the side so we are going to see if the developer will do it for us, while his guys are on site. So, when we get in contact we will ask him when the likely completion date is (if any!!!).

I will let you know if I hear anything further.

Hi

I'm not sure when the estate is due to be completed fully. All the houses look pretty much finished but I know that according to the original plans there seemed to be more to do. One thing I will say is that we found the foreman of the site very helpful. We had his mobile number and he was always happy to answer any questions, or send someone round to check things out for us, even when we were in the house over a year at that stage! Also we got them to do some work for us so it's definitely worth approaching them, even for a quote, if you are considering getting work done.

Anything that has been finished over our end seems to be finished to a fairly high standard-green areas etc seem to be pretty well maintained. I definitely found that having the builders still on site and being able to contact the foreman gave us good peace of mind

If anyone else has any questions about the estate Id be happy to answer in so far as I can

Thanks Suntot!

Could you tell me if there is a management fee/ agent involved in the estate? I know most new estates have them, with massive fees to boot. :(

Hi Pixied

The management fees apply to all apartments and duplexes. If you google Griffin Rath you will find the original brochure for the estate and it tells you in there about the management fees (not the cost just where it applies). It is these fees that turn me off buying apartments and duplexes and increases never seem to be controlled. I would investigate and make sure you know what you are paying for the years to come.

Hope that helps.

ZZZ999

Back