Green Bin Charges

S

sueellen

There was an item on RTE evening news yesterday where SDCC were considering introducing charges for green (recycle) bins but have decided to hold off for the moment while they discuss this matter with the other councils.

They are obviously testing the water in releasing this info.

Surely this is a discouragement at a time where everyone should be encouraged as much as possible to recycle.

We pay €6 per collection for our normal grey bins and generally find the attitude of SDCC to be unhelpful. I have seen many neighbours leave their bins out with the 2 necessary labels only to have their bins left uncollected because the lid was slightly open and I mean slightly open. They put a label on the bins to explain why they have not been collected. OTT in my opinion.

Friends/relatives using Dublin City Council don't appear to have to put up with any of this unhelpfulness.

AFAIK most places outside of Dublin city and county have to pay to put out their green recycling bin. Certainly, we do in the Meath area. Our 'normal' rubbish bin is €10 to put out and we have to pay €4 to put out our recycling bin. I agree with the view that people should be encouraged to put out their recycling bin and should therefore not have to pay for it, however, I only have to put my recycling bin out once every 2 mths so €24 per year certainly isn't going to break the bank ;)

I have seen many neighbours leave their bins out with the 2 necessary labels only to have their bins left uncollected because the lid was slightly open and I mean slightly open.

That's NUTS. Given the High Profile Anti-Bin Tax campaigns you'd think they'd have to cop on to at least treat those that Pay with a bit of respect and helpfulness.

Ah! Cop On. A quaint idea that we lost a few years back.

-Rd

re: paying for recycling

In the cork county my privatised rubbish collection costs 31 euro a month and that is to put out our normal rubish/recycling on alternate weeks. When first introduced we were annoyed that the new charge was the same as the old one but now we were only getting our rubbish collected every fortnight but it did encourage us to recycle even though we are paying for it!

Back