grants for independant living

terrysgirl33

I'm wondering where to go to get information on what (if any) grants are available to add a downstairs toilet and bathroom to an old house. This is for a relative who is still very mobile and active, but in his 70s and looking to convert his house for the future if he's no longer able to manage the stairs.

There is a grant available, but from too much experience, unfortunately, I can tell you, they will not give it out these days until the damage is done. (i.e. all separately: a broken hip and a broken foot and internal bleeding) It is all the cut backs and it would seem that they only give the grants to people who have actual trouble as opposed to people who are still agile. Perhaps your elderly relative, isn't quite as nimble as he thinks he is. ;)

There is a grant available, but from too much experience, unfortunately, I can tell you, they will not give it out these days until the damage is done. (i.e. all separately: a broken hip and a broken foot and internal bleeding) It is all the cut backs and it would seem that they only give the grants to people who have actual trouble as opposed to people who are still agile. Perhaps your elderly relative, isn't quite as nimble as he thinks he is. ;)

I wouldn't agree entirely with that as I think it depends on which council is dealing with the application. Certainly, it would be worth while applying for an official decison on whether some of the costs can be recouped rather than assuming he won't get it.

Read between the lines.

I did, and what you are suggesting is dishonest. What I am suggesting is that a grant may be payable on the basis that the man is elderly but able, as the OP states. He might qualify for something under http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/HousingGrantsFinancialAssistance/EssentialRepairsGrantfortheElderly/ (this), for instance.

That's granted. Perhaps it could seem like that. However, an awful lot of the elderly are unable to get their entitlements, which is regretful because many of them are the ones that "did without" to make this country better. Now having done this (most through the Haughey era) they still can't have an easy life in their twillight years after working so hard & they can't work anymore. I most definitely was not suggesting people should get something they have no entitlement to.

But things go wrong, unnecesarrily, e.g. a 70 year falling down a stairs because they are trying to mind themselves coming down (because they are not able to get a grant) and end up permanently in a wheelchair because they themselves refused to believe they were getting old, whilst everyone that watched them trying to get down the stairs, knew they were an accident waiting to happen. It's unfortunate, but many elderly people don't want to think they are getting old and hate anyone helping them in case they seem vulnerable and no longer independent.

Back