Granite V Quartz Kitchen Worktop?

carrotcake

Hello, I wonder if anyone has any experience of a Quartz kitchen worktop? I was thinking initialy of going with formica but discussed the option of granite (lifetime job and nicer appearance) with the kitchen supplier yesterday. He then suggested Quartz as he said it is a much stronger material than Granite, has a more uniform colour and is along the same price as Granite. So, wondering if anyone can recommend Quartz as a worktop or would you say I am mad thinking of paying 3K approx more for a worktop than formica (I'm building a new house and trying to do things right in as many areas as my budget can allow rather than regretting in the future!!). Thanks very much.

I checked this out before & I thought Quartz was a better product to some degree - particularly as it was less prone to staining than granite.

If you think that you will still be happy with the colour, finish, style etc of your worktop in 10,15,20 years time and the worktops are in your budget then of course it makes sense to spend the extra.
I personally prefer the quartz finish

doh. you dont have to worry about strength or long lasting or anything like that. You'll be throwing it out when your kitchen is out of style and that wont be long. Choose on style alone. You can even choose wood or glass neither of which are more practical than lowly formica.

I have quartz and love it, no staining and always a nice shine off it..very hard aswell, no scratches etc

We looked at quartz but it worked out much more expensive than the granite which we sourced ourselves from Wells Granite near Gorey (not through the kitchen people). Very happy now with what we chose. Formica was never an option for me as our kitchen is large with a big island. It looks fine in smaller kitchens though.

You should consider a solid wood worktop, its cheap than stone and is mostly very easy to maintain and repair.

Joejoe

Thank you everyone for your really helpful replies - I really appreciate it! It's brillant to be able to ask someone else's opinion. :)

Back