Graham Knuttel art - good investment?

The whole idea of art is that it is timeless and should transcend trends, fads or 'seasons'. It's not like clothing where seasonal trends are a norm.
I disagree - at least in the general case. There are lots of examples of "disposable" or ephemeral art. Ultimately there are no right answers here as all criteria on which things will be judged are so subjective. Each to their own.

Ephemeral art is usually cheap when it is made. For example, the psychedelic posters made for the Filimore in the 60's were ephemeral and cost nothing at the time and were freely available. Due to the skill and beauty of them they grew in value over the years and have kept growing. The markets set their own value like you said, and great work, regardless of original price will be valued as such and grow in price.

But to for the artist to reduce their own stuff down by 50% off the bat sets a dangerous precident. If he values his own work so little then it sends out a bad message. What about all the other young artists starting out who might have pressure put on them to give discounts or 'sales' on stuff if it becomes the norm? It also looks like artists are overinflating their own prices if its so easy to cut 50% off.

But to for the artist to reduce their own stuff down by 50% off the bat sets a dangerous precident. If he values his own work so little then it sends out a bad message. What about all the other young artists starting out who might have pressure put on them to give discounts or 'sales' on stuff if it becomes the norm? It also looks like artists are overinflating their own prices if its so easy to cut 50% off.
Surely the market/buyer dictates what a piece of art is actually worth? Did the fact that Warhol or Picasso (or lots of others) had teams of minions churn out art in their name destabilise the art market? Not that I know of.

The majority of the old masters were started by the main artist and finished by other (usually equally as talented but less well known) I have no problem with that. But those artists priced their art correctly at the time when the art work was sold. They didn't reduce prices to clear 'stock' or view some works as lesser quality.

I completely understand and agree with your point about the market down the line deciding the value. I just think it shows him up in a bad light if he prices his painting and then suddenly decides they are worth less than people paid.

I completely understand and agree with your point about the market down the line deciding the value. I just think it shows him up ... if he prices his painting and then suddenly decides they are worth less than people paid.
If they are all unique pieces then nobody will be affected by the price drops since nobody will have bought them in the first place.

Anyone here know much about art and if so would they consider a Graham Knuttel a good investment? Saw one selling at 10k and wondered what kind of appreciation could be expected on it, seeing as he is supposed to be THE Irish artist at the mo. Could he be the next Louis Le Broquy (sp) in which case, happy days?

I think you could do a lot worse - in todays uncertain stock + property markets etc - than have a small percentage of your investment portfolio invested in art, providing you really like the artist.
Knuttels prices have increased steadily over the years and his art is appreciated by the many successful business people / celebrities etc, some of whom collect it.

Art prices need to appreciate significantly to cover the significant costs of having an auctioneer or art dealer to sell them on for you!

Art prices need to appreciate significantly to cover the significant costs of having an auctioneer or art dealer to sell them on for you!

The droit de suite law introduced last year, which gives living artists the right to a royalty on the resale of their works, adds to this hurdle.

[broken link removed]

I think that you have to diversify as much as you can with the budget that you have and try to get guidance somewhere along the line. I think that you can generally tell if someone is talking bull or is actually passionate about what they do.

Trying to predict an artist that is going to be commercial in the years ahead is very difficult. I think that it is no harm to study the 'headline' artists names that keep coming up at auction and then choose two or three whose work you actually like. Like any 'investment', diversify. Perhaps, a sculpture could be thrown into the mix.

No point in having to look at something for years ahead that you don't like because you can't sell it at a profit. You may as well frame a share certificate.

If you are going ahead with a Knuttel send me a PM as I know the agent that represents Knuttel so you may get a better price.

I cant see knuttel’s art appreciating too much in value as he produces so much of the stuff, his nephew does the exact same stuff also. I was at a dinner party recently which featured knuttel table mats!!!

Markey’s work is good.

If you’ve got a good eye for art (or know somebody that does) a great place to pick up good cheapish work is the end of year art exhibitions in NCAD (every May), picked up a piece by Eoin mchugh a few years ago the following year he was exhibiting in Irish Museum of Modern Art, he’s done a lot of international exhibitions recently, one for the future I hope!

Back