Grade 5 to Grade 7 salary scale - anomaly pay on promotion / Grade 6 higher salary

ArtisticMind

Hi

I was on the maximum of Grade 5 scale i.e. point 5 when I was then promoted to Grade 7 on 1st point as per Circular 08/2019 – Starting Pay on Promotion. This is correct as per the referenced circular.

However, I noticed the following anomaly: if I had been promoted to Grade 6 i.e. one grade lower, my salary would have actually been greater than my current Grade 7 point 1 salary. As my grade 5 salary is higher than the minimum of Grade 6 scale, I would be placed at the nearest point above my salary plus one point which is point 3 of Grade 6 salary scale.

There is a difference of +€321 Euro between grade 6 point 3 and Grade 7 point 1. I personally think this should warrant that I'd be placed on point 2 of Grade 7 as point 3 of Grade 6 sits between point 1 and 2 of Grade 7 scale.

I am not sure whether I should raise this with HR and would they be able to move me to Point 2 of Grade 7 scale. Have you come across this anomaly before?

It seems that despite the fact I am at the maximum of the scale, my experience is not relevant when being promoted to Grade 7 as anyone on any point of Grade 5 scale would also be placed on Point 1 of Grade 7 scale (except for LSI).

Any advice from experience? Thank you!

In my ps experience, the only guarantee is that you don’t suffer an immediate pay loss on promotion.

The reality is you’ve leapfrogged grade 6 so the point at which you would have started on that pay scale is irrelevant.

In my ps experience, the only guarantee is that you don’t suffer an immediate pay loss on promotion.

The reality is you’ve leapfrogged grade 6 so the point at which you would have started on that pay scale is irrelevant.
Thanks Salvadore. I suppose the Agency where I work is specific in the sense that they do not make any appointments at Grade 6 at all. So the only option to be promoted is to leapfrog from 5 to 7.

(Another option would have been to be promoted outside this workplace at Grade 6 and try to return at Grade 7... )

It is in that perspective that I would like to approach HR as the two scales are not connected to each other.

Once you are earning more than before (even 1 euro) it doesn't matter how many other grades you by passed. It is irrelevant

Call HR, my experience is they have flexibility in these decisions. A call before you signed the contract may been more beneficial I feel.

If you are in a union give them a call. They deal with this on a regular basis. Similar happened me and they sorted it right away.

Back