GPS Magellan System from Halfords

battyee

I recently purchased this GPS system & was told that the road maps for Ireland could be updated foc from the web site on a regular basis. The Magellan web site does provide updates approx. once a year but at a charge. I contacted them to ask if they had updated Irish roads on their latest download & in particular asked if they had entered last years M50 extension to the N11 & other new roads around Sandyford, Carrickmines etc. They said that the irish system updates did not include these major changes nor did they incorporate street detail for anything other than the major Irish cities.
I used this system in the U.K. last week & found it a great help in finding even the most remote address in an isolated village. Sadly the mapping here sems to be way behind other countries.
Does anyone know what the future holds & when might we catch up ?

AFAIK Ireland has now been "fully" mapped and the info has been released to the map companies... but it will take them a while to process.

It all depends on who Magellan's mapping provider is. Navteq have just released what they claim to be 100% coverage of Ireland, so this should be filtering down to the Satnav manufacturers soon. If it's Teleatlas, then their current coverage is almost non-existent.

Back