GP visit cost

sorry Mac36 but this guy really is a bandit.

I have had so many blood tests done in the last 12 months I'm nearly an expert. It sounds like your friend was having a FBC (full bloods) where they check for everything, then possibly the B12 and Thyroid most of these can be sent to the hospital labs, some of the results I have got back have also come from Claymon ( a lab in sanyford) and only one for the Thyroid was sent off to France as it isnt done here in Ireland - that apparently does cost a lot of money to do the test but I believe that bloods can be sent in batches and thus one test for all the bloods. I still didnt have to pay for this one!

I think this doc should be reported.

in that case, i can easily see how it costs that much. Would be much easier and cheaper though to have the public system do it though!

Whenever the dog is sick and needs bloods,and i fork out an arm and a leg for tests, it make me realise just how much subsidy there is of the health system.

sorry Mac36 but this guy really is a bandit.

I have had so many blood tests done in the last 12 months I'm nearly an expert. It sounds like your friend was having a FBC (full bloods) where they check for everything, then possibly the B12 and Thyroid most of these can be sent to the hospital labs, some of the results I have got back have also come from Claymon ( a lab in sanyford) and only one for the Thyroid was sent off to France as it isnt done here in Ireland - that apparently does cost a lot of money to do the test but I believe that bloods can be sent in batches and thus one test for all the bloods. I still didnt have to pay for this one!

I think this doc should be reported.

Both my friend and I think he should be too. But as I have no medical knowledge and am not too well up on what GP visits in Dublin cost I posted here to try and get a clearer picture of whether this guy is just short of wearing a stetson and riding a horse?!?!? I really appreciate all the replies and the advice so far. Thanks. :)

in that case, i can easily see how it costs that much. Would be much easier and cheaper though to have the public system do it though!

Whenever the dog is sick and needs bloods,and i fork out an arm and a leg for tests, it make me realise just how much subsidy there is of the health system.

Can it really be that much though? As I have said previously I have no medical knowledge so am kind of flying blind here. Thanks.

i know people who go to private hospital for cholesterol, full blood count, liver and kidney tests, and the blood tests alone are 200 euro, so the price sounds right for a private laboratory to me.

i know people who go to private hospital for cholesterol, full blood count, liver and kidney tests, and the blood tests alone are 200 euro, so the price sounds right for a private laboratory to me.

:eek:

Thanks Rob. Maybe I am spoiled by country prices!?!?! :(

Why don't you get your friend to write a letter, sent registered, asking for a breakdown of all costs in writing, mentioning that she would like to take the issue up with the Medical Council

Bet that'll get them moving.

Why don't you get your friend to write a letter, sent registered, asking for a breakdown of all costs in writing, mentioning that she would like to take the issue up with the Medical Council

Bet that'll get them moving.

Hi Smashbox,

I told my friend what you have suggested and she agrees that it seems like the way to go. Apart from her obvious disbelief at the charges she cannot understand why, if the costs were going to be so high, her doctor did not outline that fact before taking the tests?? This was compounded today by feeling like she was getting the runaround when he did ring her back.

Why is it so hard to get a breakdown for this bill???? :confused:

Thanks again Smashbox. :)

GPs usually have a price list displayed in the waiting area - maybe check that?

I have never seen a price list in either a doctor.s or dentist's surgery waiting room.

I went to my local GP lately ( chest infection ) cost € 50
Doctor suggested I send in blood tests for analysis . Made an appointment for next morning 09.00am . Cost FREE .

Doctor made a deal with me that if I paid him on departure ( we have an account ) he would not charge for blood tests

Have spoken to GP (husbands cousin) about this. He siad its ridiculous. He never charges for these routine tests and you should not have paid for them. Get it checked out with Medical Council at least, nothing to lose.

Hi Jaybird, allthedoyles and flahers2,

Thanks for taking the time to read the post and for your replies. I def think after reading everyones posts and advice that my friend will take this further. It seems to me from the majority of posts that these tests are included in the price of one's GP visit. So this doctor seems to me to be taking the mick. As noted at the very least he should have flagged that if he did the tests it was going to cost x amount!!??!!!?

Thanks again for eveyone's continuing help. :)

The latest update is that the Doctor has rung my friend back.

She asked why didn't he warn her of the high amount before hand and he said he didn't think of it.

She asked for a breakdown and had to persist in asking three times. Eventually he said said that it was the blood test that was expensive and that he has sent her blood off to be checked for kidney, ovary, liver, hormones, and
something else (she can't remember the other thing).

He said each one is separate test and costs a different price.

She then asked him why he didn't tell her all this last nite and he replied that he was sorry and he is only out to help her and it's not abt money.

She said she only went in for antibiotics for a kidney infection and why did she need all these done and why not tell her the cost? He had no answer.

So the upshot of all that is that she still has no breakdown and still wondering is this true and why all of this wasn't this made clear to her from the start.

Any comments, opinions or advice?

Hi Mac

Definitely think your friend should go further about this. If she needed blood tests, all the doctor had to do was give her a referral letter for the hospital and she would have been able to get them done free of charge. I had to get a few different blood tests done before and this is what my doctor did. I also got a urine test before, done at no extra charge by my doctor and I rang up a few weeks later to get the results - again no extra charge. Scandalous amount of money to be charging and especially for him not to inform her before hand and then seemingly not being able to provide a breakdown of the charges
I think she should send a registered letter to her doctor asking him for a formal reply. If she is not satisfied then here is how to make a formal complaint. Hopefully she won't have to go that far
http://www.medicalcouncil.ie/professional/complaint.asp

My Doc charges 30euro per visit with all tests that are needed included in the price and sometimes follow up treatments are done for nothing, Limerick based Doc, I have been with him for years.. anybody want details pm me..

The latest update is that the Doctor has rung my friend back.

She asked why didn't he warn her of the high amount before hand and he said he didn't think of it.

She asked for a breakdown and had to persist in asking three times. Eventually he said said that it was the blood test that was expensive and that he has sent her blood off to be checked for kidney, ovary, liver, hormones, and
something else (she can't remember the other thing).

He said each one is separate test and costs a different price.

She then asked him why he didn't tell her all this last nite and he replied that he was sorry and he is only out to help her and it's not abt money.

She said she only went in for antibiotics for a kidney infection and why did she need all these done and why not tell her the cost? He had no answer.

So the upshot of all that is that she still has no breakdown and still wondering is this true and why all of this wasn't this made clear to her from the start.

Any comments, opinions or advice?
Seems crazy that the cost wasn't discussed beforehand, or options to get the tests done in the public system at low/no cost. If the GP says 'it's not about money', then he won't mind offering a huge discount on his original fee. At a minimum, he should allow payment over a long period, say €50 per month. And he won't mind showing the patient the invoice from the test company.

ialso free smear tests which i believe you have to pay about 60 euros for in Ireland.
Not true, most ladies can get a free smear test here - see www.cervicalcheck.ie

This doctor only accepts cash.
Curiouser and curiouser. Do you mean that he won't accept a cheque? Perhaps he should be reported to Revenue as well as the Medical Council?

Hi Complainer, paddyjnr and dee101,

Thanks folks for taking the time to reply to this post. It seems that this Doctor def needs to be reported. The general consensus seems to be that blood tests are included in the GP visit charge except with this guy?!!!

Thanks for everyones continuing advice. :)

These tests can be done in a public hospital for free. Private hospitals choose to do them in house as a revenue gaining exercise.

Ruam

Just a correction on my original post guys where I stated my Doc charges 30 euro per visit, it has since been increased to 35euro as I was with him today and checked his fees while I was there...

Just a correction on my original post guys where I stated my Doc charges 30 euro per visit, it has since been increased to 35euro as I was with him today and checked his fees while I was there...

Thankfully still a long way from E250! :)

Not all GPs do bloods test for free. Some do charge a fee for actually taking the sample themselves, as opposed to you queueing at the hospital. Couriers do have to be paid to bring specimens to the lab, disposal of medical waste etc.

My doc charges €50 per visit, all bloods are done for €30 with the nurse - this includes cholestrol, thyroid function and general health. Urine tests are always done by the doctor during the visit at no extra costs - same with throat swabs.

My boyfriend works for the HSE and he advises your friend to definitely make your complaints known. This doctor obviously is so loaded from over-charging that he doesn't consider €250 to be much money!

Back