Google error message

S

stobear

Go to www.google.com
In the search bar type 'Weapons of Mass Destruction'
Click 'I'm feeling lucky' instead of 'search'
Read so called error message

?

whats the deal with that, I put the words "Weapons of Mass Destruction" into google.com, google.ie and .co.uk and keep getting onto some defence site instead of getting an error message.
I tried it with words on own and double quoted. can someone print the error message here?

Re: ?

The page in question must have dropped off the top of the list so the I'm feeling lucky search option no longer finds it. Try this link: [broken link removed] . Somebody in yesterday's Tribune seemed to think that somebody had hacked into Google to make this appear... :lol

re: ?

Excellent!!
thanks for the link club. Id gotten the google thing on a couple mails today and was wondering what it was all about.

obviously the tribune reporter wasnt from the IT dept.

Re: re: ?

Clubman, would that have not been possible?

Contango10

Re: re: ?

That link doesn't work.

C10

PS Sorry, it does. My mistake.

the link

contango,
While the bigger sites do tend to have better security, I suppose it would have been possible, but there wouldnt have been much point to it when it would have been far easier to go the other route of having your site the number one pick when someone clicked feeling lucky.
theres any number of books out there on how to get your site higher up a search engines results list.
If you come from an IT background, as does clubman and myself, then I suppose its funny when somebody thinks its a hack rather then good webpage design.

addendum

thats assuming, of course, that that is what cluman found funny about the tribune article. apologies to cm if it isnt.

Clubman, would that have not been possible?

My point was that the Tribune reported insinuated that somebody had hacked/manipulated Google in some way or used to other nefarious means to ensure that this "error message" appeared in response to the relevant search whereas, as far as I can see, it was simply the top ranked page in the "WMD" search results for a few days and thus appeared automatically in response to the I'm feeling lucky search option. I'm not saying that Google is immune to hacking just that the Tribune reported didn't seem to understand how this "error message" was being generated which, like car, I found slightly amusing - albeit less than the "error message" page itself.

That link doesn't work.

I see it caught Contango10 out briefly! :lol

My mistake - it was the Sunday Business Post and not the [Tribune. And there's me slagging off journalists, eh... :eek:

Try this one as well:

Go to www.google.com
In the search bar type "French military victories"
Click 'I'm feeling lucky'
Read so called error message

Trés amusé !

Back