Goodbye Newstalk 106

Murt10

Well I have waited long enough and I'm not staying any longer, I'm off. I have been a regular listener to Newstalk in the morning ever since the station first opened. I feel at this stage that I have more than given the new crowd a chance.

The station and content is completely gone down the pan. It's no longer vibrant or interesting.The new format doesn't work and the programme content since the station went nationwide is pure rubbish. The prograamme has been dumbed down to such an extent that it's not worth listening to any more.

As for texting in to the show at 30c a text - get real. You would need to be paying me to listen, not the other way round.

Please come back Eamo (or Mc Williams). We need you. While I didn't always agree with either of you at least there was some life in the show. All is forgiven. The morning are a lot less interesting without you guys.

Murt

I think [broken link removed] is far better than anything else that is on at that time. I agree that the morning news show has deteriorated over recent months.

It's pretty tough to listen to them in the morning alright - it's like listening to tabloid radio.

Funny never really listened to the station before but the radio was on in the gym I was in yesterday about quarter past 12. Cant remember the name of the show but what a tit the presenter was. The guy kept talking about this pain he had in his arm/shoulder and never shut up about it and how he might have got it. It was infantile and I couldn't wait for the channel to be changed.
If this was symptomatic of the shows then I can't see much future for it.

Moncrieff can be an interesting mixed bag. I'm still a big fan of Off The Ball - especially Ken Earley and Ciaran Murphy, and their wider sports coverage. I can't stand a lot of the other stuff, in particular The Wide Angle with Karen Coleman or Life! with Orla Barry - and anything with Roisin Ingle on it - ever!

Yeah, Off the ball is probably the best show on radio (if you are into sport of course). I can leave most of the rest of it.

off the ball is the best show they have and i'm with Clubman on the rest of it - still, its all better than adrian kennedy on 104........

I think what we really need is an Irish equivalent to BBC Radio 4's Today Programme.

It should start early, at least 6 AM. I can't get any decent Irish news source in the morning because none of them are broadcasting early enough.

Friday 6:30 pm:

RTE - Sport
TodayFM - Sport
Newstalk 106 - Sport

If you like sport then your missing something on the other stations.
If you dont then you have no choice.

RTE - Sport
TodayFM - Sport
Newstalk 106 - Sport

Yes indeed, thank God for BBC Radio 4 (except the cricket season of course.) "Off the ball?" I'd rather listen to Roisin Ingle interviewing Orla Barry about Karen Coleman.

Yes indeed, thank God for BBC Radio 4 (except the cricket season of course.) "Off the ball?" I'd rather listen to Roisin Ingle interviewing Orla Barry about Karen Coleman.
Nah, off the ball is great stuff, i don't mind Hookie, although Matt Cooper is normally on the ball too.

I am new to the station as it has only gone nationwide. However, the morning show is utter tripe but there are some other good programmes.
Off The Ball is class and one of the better sports programmes for any radio station. George Hook is good, not fantastic, but good. Sunday evenings between 5 and 7 there is a history programme on Newstalk which I find excellent.
However, the station is losing money hand over fist (according to the newspaper business sections) so Denis O'Briens patience might run out sooner rather than later and the plug might be pulled.

To be fair, both morning presenters are fairly new to their roles (Gilroy came from Off The Ball, Byrne came from TV3). Some of the reports they get are rubbish though. Ads, the 'Business' news and Tom Lyons' voice bug me the most.

I actually like the Morning Show (or whatever they call it). Much less po-faced than Morning Ireland which I have found a pain to listen to ever since David Hanly retired. Also better at handling breaking stories, including this morning's exclusive re the Mary Harney/HSE row over cancer facilities. For his part, Tom Lyons did well in covering the Aer Lingus/Ryanair takeover battle a few months back.

I think I'm going to have nightmares tonight after reading that sentence... :mad:

RTE - Sport
TodayFM - Sport
Newstalk 106 - Sport

As someone with no interest in sport, I have often wondered about this.......are the stations in cahoots to get me to put a CD on instead? All the sport programmes seem to be on at the same time.

SHOCK!! When did David Hanly retire?? Come back!!!

I reckon Newstalk isn't the worst station out there. Hookie is worth a listen most evenings except when he is licking his pal pope's ass. Moncrief is good in the afternoons too.

When I am living in warmer climes I am stuck with what comes in on the satellite, no broadband available where I live. That means a diet of Phat Kenny and Holy Joe Duffy etc. Is it possible to get Newstalk on Satellite?

Back