Good hotel in Cork - suggestions?

mu66

Am planning to go to Cork for the June bh weekend, with my other half. Am looking for suggestions for a relatively luxurious hotel (good food, nice rooms etc) - don't mind if it is in the City or perhaps in West Cork. Not really into nightlife so a quite area is fine with us, just feel we need a break away from day to day life!
Thanks in advance.

In Cork city, Jury's is new and quite good. The Kingsley Hotel is also good and won't fall down around you - I helped build it. ;)

The Sheraton Fota Island (Apprx 10 miles east) is probably the best outside the city. It is however a bit remote but lovely rooms and restaurant. Great for a special weekend but not cheap! In the western side of the city the Kingsley is absoloutely fabulous and one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in Ireland. The Silver Springs is fine but nothing special. I haven't stayed in the new Jurys but by all accounts its pretty good and close to everything in the city centre. The daddy of the city hotels is the Hayfield Manor but probably the most expensive. I have stayed in the Maryborough House Hotel numerous times and it never disappoints and should be more reasonable than the others. Hope this helps!

Might be pricey but the Inchdoney Spa hotel in West Cork is fabulous - located next to the beach and has rooms or apartments to stay in.
Close to the city, I've stayed in the Montenotte Hotel a few times and it is lovely - few minutes walk into the city.

rochestown park hotel is lovely http://www.rochestownpark.com situated about 3 miles outside city, based in douglas where there are excellent restaurants & pubs. good spot.

some pubs/restaurant within 2 minutes of hotel

http://www.barrysofdouglas.com - very nice pub
http://www.eco.ie - best restaurant in Douglas
http://www.eastvillage.ie/

Enjoy your weekend in Cork.

Maryborough Hotel is near this too. Would prefer this than Rochestown Park. Have stayed in both. If you are planning on trying Eco's I'd say book it now as it may be booked out but I wouldn't worry, there are plenty of nice places to eat in Cork.

Incydoney is nice but overpriced in my opinion. Maritime in Bantry is nice too if you want to go to West Cork.

You could also go east and stay somewhere like Ballymalloe or the reopened hotel in Castlemartyr. Dinner or lunch at the Farm Gate in Midleton is lovely.

Oh and the Carlton in Kinsale is really nice too and it's out of the town but has a shuttle bus in and out if you did want to venture in and have a few drinks.

In Cork city, Jury's is new and quite good. The Kingsley Hotel is also good and won't fall down around you - I helped build it. ;)

Jurys doyle which is fab not Jurys Inn which imo is horrid.

I stayed in Jurys Doyle recently and there was notices for upgrading to the superior romm for €20. For that you get robe, slippers, fancy coffee maker and newspaper - can't remeber if breakfast was included.

We stayed there cos its walking distance to the city but I know some of the others mentioned are meant to be fab.

I stayed in the Cork Radisson last year. Beautiful hotel on nice grounds located about 3 or 4 km from city centre on Cobh road. Food was good and the facilities are excellent.

One drawback is that is is located on the edge of a retail park (Harvey Norman, KFC, etc) but I would definitely stay there again.

Maryborough Hotel is near this too. Would prefer this than Rochestown Park. Have stayed in both. If you are planning on trying Eco's I'd say book it now as it may be booked out but I wouldn't worry, there are plenty of nice places to eat in Cork.

Incydoney is nice but overpriced in my opinion. Maritime in Bantry is nice too if you want to go to West Cork.

You could also go east and stay somewhere like Ballymalloe or the reopened hotel in Castlemartyr. Dinner or lunch at the Farm Gate in Midleton is lovely.

Oh and the Carlton in Kinsale is really nice too and it's out of the town but has a shuttle bus in and out if you did want to venture in and have a few drinks.

I agree with you, g1g. Maryborough House is classy but friends of mine who come to Cork regularly stay in the Rochestown Park and they love it. Nice pool etc. also. Douglas (where both are located) has some of the best and reasonably priced restaurants in Cork.

Just a personal thing - I wouldn't recommend East Cork to anyone........

I just cannot agree with comments re East Cork. I have no business connections with this area but think it is a nice change from West Cork. OP mentioned a luxurious place and while most of the places mentioned are excellent maybe OP had something else in mind like Hayfield Manor Cork

The Clarion in the city centre is also nice.
The kingsley & Jurys have nice gyms (The Kingsley slightly nicer with an outside hottub over looking the Lee.)

Try www.1800hotels.com when booking to campair the prices. (I have no connection with this site but find it very good).

The Radison is nice, however it feels like a hotel for bussness meetings located in that retail park.

I work in Cork quite a lot and generally stay at either the Clarion or the Montenotte. Both have nice leisure facilities, the Clarion being very central but more expensive. Stayed in the Sheraton recently, beautiful hotel but slightly isolated. Apparently the Blarney Golf Resort is very nice and the village of Blarney is beautiful with some great pubs.

Back