Good Friday

Liamos

We seem to have this debate in our office each year - is Good Friday a bank holiday and / or a public holiday? We are usually given the choice of whether to work it or not. However if we take it off, it is treated as a days holiday.
Does this treatment sound correct?

And every year, someone asks this on AAM.

Good Friday is not a legal public holiday in Ireland, legally it is like any other day,
You have no legal right to be treated any differently at work on Good Friday.

In practice it is a bit of a grey area though.

As far as I can see in private sector industry some companies give it as a paid holiday. Most seem to treat it like any other day - like we do.

In the public sector the norm seems to be that this is a days paid holiday.

What I was told is years ago the banks use to be closed to the publci but staff were working inside - thus it was known as a bank holiday.

We (admin HSE) get it off as a concession day but grades like nurses who are rostered to work as normal receive no additional pay.

I assume its the equivalent of a "company holiday" e.g. my last employer used to give Good Fri and Xmas eve as company days, in that you were off & paid but didnt need to use annual leave...

In theory they are discretionary but not in practice. Management have tried in the past to red circle them but failed but I suppose times are different now.

We get 3 in total, two at christmas and one for Good Friday. Other counties get extra, like Galway for the races, Donegal for the Rose of Dunloe and Ballinasloe for the Fair.

Its either a discretionary day given by Employers or else its a days holiday being used.
I'm off but i'm using up a days hol, that and the following Tue to Fri makes up a weeks hols being used.

Secman

You don't get post on Good Friday. Banks are not open. You cannot transact business with public bodies.

The government need to change the status once and for all.

You don't get post on Good Friday. Banks are not open. You cannot transact business with public bodies.

The government need to change the status once and for all.

You are right; they should open all public bodies and deliver post on good Friday.

Back