Good Friday - Work or take off?

Re: Good Friday - what do you do?

If you work in the building industry, it's a builder's holiday (CIF holiday), so all sites are closed.

I think the confusion should be sorted out by making it a public holiday (as well as a bank holiday, as it is already) like the UK.

Then everyones happy...:D

We are expected to work on this day and have to use a days holiday to take it off. I have nearly always taken this day off over the years as Creche closes this day. Often willbe on call this day which means if I am I don't lose a days holiday!

I'll be using my free time on Good Friday to plan what to do with all my free time on Easter Tuesday - The joys of working in the public sector!

So its a bank holiday, not a public hoiday and I guess that means streetside parking is not free (like a Sunday) either.

In case anyone is interested (checked with An Post today) there will be no postal deliveries or collections on Good Friday.

Am I right in supposing that day telephone calls on Friday will be at peak rates but off peak on Easter Monday? I seem to remember that with Eircom, before the flotation, calls on Good Friday were charged at off peak rates; could be wrong about that.

Depends on whether the tariff schedule in question charges off peak rates for bank or public holidays I suppose? The terms & conditions usually clarify.

Yes CM, one would expect Ts & Cs to explain but having searched Utv's site, can't find any reference to call tariffs on either Bank or Public Holidays. All I could find was evening and weekend rates. http://u.tv/talk/tc.asp?loc=ie

Maybe there's no reduction on Easter Monday either? It looks like it. Can't find that information either in Eircom's Ts & Cs or anywhere on their site. I've sent them an email and the answer should be interesting or at least illuminating. :)

well i'm in the civil service and we have the day off, but in saying that they do make us come in on Christmas Eve, which i think is stupid, i'd rather it the other way around,

as for the business, its only of the only 2 guranteed days off for a dj, seeing as the venues are shut and in my case there are no weddings.

But i am meeting a couple on friday about their wedding so i suppose i am doing some work.

RainyDay said:
I'll be using my free time on Good Friday to plan what to do with all my free time on Easter Tuesday - The joys of working in the public sector!
You deserve it. After all the downsides of working in the public sector are......
well you reserve it anyway.

I consider it a perk for the staff. If we get what we need done tomorrow, we'll close on Friday.

Makes it a Great Firday.

BM

sherib said:
In case anyone is interested (checked with An Post today) there will be no postal deliveries or collections on Good Friday.

We had a post delivery today! Not sure if the post office was open though

I had a delivery also today but was definitely told on the phone this week (think I spoke to someone in the GPO) that there would be no deliveries or collections on Good Friday. Maybe it was just post offices that were closed.

By chance I spoke to a Postman collecting at 5.30pm in south suburbs on Thursday and he told me that there would be a delivery on Friday so he was right. Perhaps today's delivery was overtime. Same postman also told me that there is a collection on Saturday at noon (even though the notice on the box only gives Mon-Fri collection times) which I didn't know existed. But he said they were phasing out Sat collections except at GPO. All very confusing.

I phoned vhi low call number yesterday(Good Friday) and got an answering machine to say they were closed but would be opened on Saturday. Does that make sence.
I also phoned my insurance company's number to have shop insurance transfered to new premises again to get an answering machine to say the office was closed.
Wouldnt it be better if it was a bank holiday or not at least then we would know.

Back