Good Friday - Work or take off?

S

sluice44

Good Friday is coming up and I understand it's not an official public holiday.

Some companies close and the employees get a free holiday.
Some companies close and charge the employees a holiday-day!
Some stay open.

What do you do?

Are there any statistics on what % open/close/close but charge holiday.

What do you do?

For what it's worth, as a software engineer for the past 17 years or so, I've never worked for a company that closed for Good Friday.

We're open, but lots of people tend to dissappear early from lunchtime onwards.

I find that most American companies stay open (at least that I've worked for) whereas my current (Irish) company closes for the day.

I have never worked a Good friday, since I started working.
I give my staff a day off with pay.

Some companies close and employees have to take a compulosory days leave. I dont know how common this is thought.

FWIW it is a bank holiday

But and a bank holiday is not the same thing. This comes up every year! :)

I find that most American companies stay open (at least that I've worked for) whereas my current (Irish) company closes for the day.

I've worked for a number of indigenous Irish and US headquartered companies and none of them ever gave Good Friday off.

We close Good Friday and everyone gets a days pay- happy days!
It's counted as a days annual leave - not so happy days...

We close - and pay everyone. But we do state in staff handbook that it is "An extra day - given at companys discretion". the employees see it as a perk.

Yes,

Thats right Clubie, its not a public holiday !

Are church holidays followed any more ?

Back when I was a pup all the country seemed to take them.

Come to that I'm glad to see some places still taking a half day during the week.

eDog

Are church holidays followed any more ?

Not sure what you mean but I'm sure that some people observe them by taking a day out of their annual paid leave where applicable.

We actually close on the Wednesday afternoon & reopen the following Wednesday morning. They are discretionary days given by the company, but we are paid for them. The same applies at Christmas. It evens out to approx 30 annual leave days per year.

The bosses thinking being that it makes up for a lack of similarity between our pay and that of our peers.

We actually close on the Wednesday afternoon & reopen the following Wednesday morning.

Over Easter?! Any vacancies?

Well, I am leaving in 3 weeks ;)

LOL

Trust me, the extra holidays don't make up for the lack of pay. It really puts the pressure on to take your holidays, I was regularly carrying over as much as 12 days every year. But it is very handy for childcare reasons

Do they reappear a couple of days later?

ROFLMAO @ ClubMan
Very good!

Re: Good Friday - what do you do?

Just bumping this before the inevitable questions come in!
I'm getting it (Good Friday) as an extra company holiday this year.

Back