going to san francisco

lorr01

Hello,

Im just enquiring, im going to san francisco next feb and i want to enquire about what we have to have in order to travel, visa's, greencards etc, and where do i get all these things please..

Somebody said something to me about a form that has to be submitted 6 weeks before you go, i just want to have everything in order!!

Any help i would appreciate.

Last edited:
hi foxylady,

We are not travelling with Aer lingus, we are using United Airlines, and i went into the link you provided and it just brought me into Aer lingus website.

breakthebank,

I have just completed this form thank you, is there anything else i have to do?

Make sure to bring the form with you when going , but you still have to fill one out in the aiport as well.

okay foxylady is that all i have to do them?

Thats all I've had to do when travelling to the states, although Aer Lingus require advanced passenger information so you might want to check that with your airline

thank you, i went onto united airlines website and i didnt see anything apart from a couple of details to be giving to them en route..

Just want to have everything organised as i get the impression they are very strict and i want to have everything right!!!

Make sure to bring the form with you when going , but you still have to fill one out in the aiport as well.

No need to bring the ESTA print out with you. It's all logged against your passport number.

OP - Green cards are for permanent residents of the US only. Although it doesn't help that the Visa Waiver slips we get are also green coloured.

Once you have the ESTA filled in and have got approval that's all you need to have done in advance. Your airline will also require an address for you in the US but no need to give that til check in. When you get to the airport they will also give you a form to fill in for the Visa Waiver (as it's not gone paperless yet but it's the same info you filled in online) and a customs form.

The other thing you should sort is travel insurance. For the US it's vital (make sure the medical cover is at least $2,000,000).

No need to bring the ESTA print out with you. It's all logged against your passport number.

OP - Green cards are for permanent residents of the US only. Although it doesn't help that the Visa Waiver slips we get are also green coloured.

Once you have the ESTA filled in and have got approval that's all you need to have done in advance. Your airline will also require an address for you in the US but no need to give that til check in. When you get to the airport they will also give you a form to fill in for the Visa Waiver (as it's not gone paperless yet but it's the same info you filled in online) and a customs form.

The other thing you should sort is travel insurance. For the US it's vital (make sure the medical cover is at least $2,000,000).

Shesells,
Thanks so much for all the information, i have all the esta forms filled out online and printed incase!! loads different people saying different things as i was getting all muddled over it, and telling us to be there 3 hours before flight etc as it be very busy, we are BMI to london first with 3 hour stopover, then onto United Airlines for San Francisco,

A mate of mine was in US last year and she got insurance before travelling and while over there she got a bite by insect and spent a night in hospital on a drip and was giving pain killers and antibiotics and when she got back to ireland she got a bil of $4000 from the hospital to pay, and her insurance company are fighting the issue with her now that she has to pay the majority, you'd wonder then why bother with insurance if they are going to be like that and not pay up!!

Thanks for the advice and i will read all the small print on the insurance in case of any catches!!!

Your airline will also require an address for you in the US but no need to give that til check in. When you get to the airport they will also give you a form to fill in for the Visa Waiver (as it's not gone paperless yet but it's the same info you filled in online) and a customs form.

I would reconmend you provide an address in advance after a messy experience I was involved in. Whatever you do even you arrive for a unplanned fly drive give an address :eek: the lads who check you into the country are mindless goons!

Shesells,
Thanks so much for all the information, i have all the esta forms filled out online and printed incase!! loads different people saying different things as i was getting all muddled over it, and telling us to be there 3 hours before flight etc as it be very busy, we are BMI to london first with 3 hour stopover, then onto United Airlines for San Francisco,

A mate of mine was in US last year and she got insurance before travelling and while over there she got a bite by insect and spent a night in hospital on a drip and was giving pain killers and antibiotics and when she got back to ireland she got a bil of $4000 from the hospital to pay, and her insurance company are fighting the issue with her now that she has to pay the majority, you'd wonder then why bother with insurance if they are going to be like that and not pay up!!

If you're flying to London first then 90 mins before the flight time here should be more than enough to get through security. As you're not going directly from Ireland you will clear immigration in the US and not in Dublin (which is why you don't need the 3 hours).

As for insurance...insurance covers a lot more than health but while your friend had a difficult time with her medical cover...I know so many people that incurred hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical bills over there for the simplest of things. My cousin collapsed in the check in queue in LAX and the ambulance, treatment and one night hospital stay would have cost her $250,000 if she wasn't insured!

If you're flying to London first then 90 mins before the flight time here should be more than enough to get through security. As you're not going directly from Ireland you will clear immigration in the US and not in Dublin (which is why you don't need the 3 hours).

As for insurance...insurance covers a lot more than health but while your friend had a difficult time with her medical cover...I know so many people that incurred hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical bills over there for the simplest of things. My cousin collapsed in the check in queue in LAX and the ambulance, treatment and one night hospital stay would have cost her $250,000 if she wasn't insured!

Wow thats madness isint it, god il make sure i get insurance and get it to suit large amount!!

Ya i thought that about the emmigration in the us as we flying to london first but was told that dublin do the emmigration and the finger printing and eye scans and that us dont do it anymore!!

Im a smoker and am dreading this long flight, when you land in london can you have a fag or will i be locked into an departure area due to being checked in dublin, il have to make up for the 15 hour lack of fags, and ya i should give up!!!:) i'll wear a patch and have the inhaler fag thing, il stock up!!!

Back