Going away for Christmas - ideas

Diziet

For various reasons I would like to go away for a week or 10 days over Christmas this year (family of 4). If you have gone somewhere nice over Christmas that you would recommend, I would appreciate letting me know. We would prefer somewhere outside Ireland and are not too keen on the whole White Christmas with Santa experience (I thought of Tehran but that is probably a bit extreme :) ).

Re: Going away fro Christmas - ideas

Am considering this myself, was looking into doing a 5 day Dracula tour in Translyvania - something a bit different, have not booked anything so cant recommend a tour operator but if you google Dracula Tours you will see what Ive seen.
Also wondering about Dubai - the long flight for a short trip is a bit off putting though.

We're planning to go away in the week right after Christmas. Most likely it will be a villa with a pool somewhere we hope there will be a little bit of sun. Thinking Tunisia, Egypt, that sort of thing. Don't think we need to consider Tehran!! :)

So far I've discovered that prices almost half on the 1st Jan so I'll probably do it all independant of an agent to try and keep costs down.

Spent one Christmas in Vegas - a really different experience, including Grand Canyon etc, great fun, good weather, but depends on kids' ages and how you feel about gambling in general.

The only time I've been away for Christmas Day was skiing, but I have been away in December several times and if I were going away for Christmas again I would happily consider 1. Cape Town, 2. New York. It'll be expensive though, prices rocket up for Christmas and New Year's.

Thanks for the ideas folks!

NY sounds great actually, I quite fancy that. Expensive though.

Egypt would be good too. You'll be glad to hear Tehran is out of the running :).

RE Cape Town
Friend looked into this for christmas. She couldn't find direct flights (slattery's not doing them - something about the charter co. they use going under) - only via Heathrow - and about double what she paid last year.
Personal choice - skiing, don't think it will happen this year tho:(

Back