Glass blackening on stove

LimerickMan

Hi all, I recently got a Morso Squirrel stove installed and am generally happy with it. Only problem so far is that the glass on the front door seems to blacken every time I light it. I've been burning only dry fuel (peat briquettes). There is a small lever at the very bottom of the stove which the supplier told me to keep turned to the right at all times (this activates the "airwash" system which keeps the flames off the glass as there is a layer of air protecting it).
Don't know what I'm doing wrong, any ideas?

We have a jotul clean burn and the flame burns off the black off the glass, but if you have it the draught closed down position for just a small fire it will blacken the glass. Often ours gets relit the day after without cleaning the glass and the fresh flame just cleans the black off again. Worth trying the lever in a few different positions until you get it to your satisfaction.

Peat is not a very dry fuel; it still has a high moisture content compared to seasoned logs. It is also quite a cold start fuel, so will give off a lot of smoke until the fire gets going. You could try starting with logs and then using peat once the fire is good and strong?

We burn logs in our Wamsler and the glass still blackens. So to clean it we use damp kitchen paper dipped in the fire ash and polish. Cleans up in no time (with a bit of elbow grease).

The airwash should really be used when you are starting up, and closed when the fire is established. The resulting increased heat should burn off any discolouration until the fire downs later. Then as Yoganmahew says damp kitchen paper and moderate elbow grease the next day. Works for me.

I have a Rais wood stove and I get a small amount blackening on the glass when the stove is first lit and when allowing the fire to go out also but as mentioned by previous posters this burns off when the stove is burning clean.

I have a lever with 3 positions - off - primary burn and secondary burn. I leave my door slightly ajar when lighting, then close the door and select primary burn and when the fire is lighting well select secondary burn. Sounds a little complicated but it's just regulating the air flow. I'd assume that all stoves will have an element of sooting up due to the nature of solid fuel and combustion. I'd try one of those compressed chip fire logs and see if they burn more cleanly.

Back