Ginourmous ESB bill for almost €350 previous bills were about €150

kormak

hi folks,

we've been living in our new country home since June and all is rosey until last week when we received a ginourmous ESB bill for almost €350!!!
prev bills were around 160 or so...
phoned ESB and they say the last one was probably under estimated.
bla bla bla....
find this hard to believe.
we have a few things that are hard on power (lots of down lights, condenser dryer, pump for well) but i still can't see how these alone could drive it up so high???
there at the weekend i decided to power off all mains switch from trip switch.
all power off to the house and yet the meter wheel is STILL moving, allbeit crawling, it's still actually moving.
i've heard of "creeping meter" issues but heard they're quite rare.
so i phone ESB networks and the woman reckons "even if i power off evrything from the mains, the wheel will still crawl along??!!!" i asked her does it not stop with all power off and she says "no! he only time it will stop dead is if the actual fuse to the house is blown!"
IS THIS TRUE?
if it is a case that we need to cut down... well fair enough, but i wanna be damn sure of it first!
k

Have a look at the last few bills where the meter readings are shown. If there is an E after the meter reading, then it means that they estimated the meter reading rather than using an actual reading. If that happened for a few months in a row, coming into winter, then such a bill could develop.Q

The ESB are correct in stating that even if you powered everything down, there could still be a minor charge. For example, anything with a digital clock (eg a digital TV box. a microwave or an oven) will still be drawing power, even if it is turned off as long as it is plugged in.

Best thing to do is firstly make sure nothing is left on standby, secondly, where possible, turn things off at the mains

Get yourself an Owl Energy monitor (http://www.theowlireland.com/)
They are simple to hook up and you wont be long finding out what is eating up your electricity. You will find that you will be more energy conscious as well, turning off lights that you dont need etc,.

Back