Giles Coren - racist restaurant writer?

Giles Coren - food critic and possibly a little racist?

The Guardian are doing their utmost to make a hero out of Coren this week following on from the leak of an his hissy email to the Sunday Times over their stripping of pieces of his regular critical article.

Generally I wouldn't give two number 2's to any of his work, but my attention was dragged to a piece in the article whereby he compares the Sunday Times editing to drunk Irish.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jul/23/mediamonkey

Am I the only one who feels that his words and the meaning behind those words are reminiscent of the early 80s and British opinions of Irish? If this comparison was brought against someone of colour there would be uproar and vilification would follow - without doubt from those bastions of writing,the Times and Guardian.

Just seems unbelievable double standards and I'm really peeved.

to read the article go to

Re: Giles Coren - food critic and possibly a little racist?

i read the post and he comes accross as a real ass. i sthere anyway we can complain about this?

Jaysus, all that over a letter 'a' ! I'd hate to hear what he has to say if someone let a typo in !!!

Still, I hope someone sneezes on his salad, the git. He always struck me as a pompous know-it-all.

Actually, I think a complaint is in order too!

Where should it be lodged.

Hate this sort of rubbish.

Anyone who is offended should lodge a complaint! Who deals with complaints about this type of thing.

i've written to the Guardian Editor and asked him/her whether the piece would have been allowed were "Irish" dropped and replaced by Black or Asian".

is there an overall media regulator?

i've written to the Guardian Editor and asked him/her whether the piece would have been allowed were "Irish" dropped and replaced by Black or Asian".

is there an overall media regulator?

Are the Guardian just not printing what Giles Coren wrote in an e-mail so if anyone should be getting abused it should be Giles Coren.

I never even heard of Giles Coren before this thread, so his self publicity tactics seem to be paying off.

Other then the offensive reference does anyone else not think its a brillant email??

He has little to be worried about eh? Is he sometimes on Ramsey's programmes? What an arrogant idiot! I'll happily complain too....

He has little to be worried about eh? Is he sometimes on Ramsey's programmes? What an arrogant idiot! I'll happily complain too....

Yes he is on the F Word. Have to say I quite fancy him so I won't be complaining.

Other then the offensive reference does anyone else not think its a brillant email??

Well personally I don't find the reference offensive and to be honest I don't think the e-mail is brilliant at all. Its just sad. Haven't read Giles Coren before but if he writes like that, I am not missing anything

I think its funny the way he rants and raves ... then signs it off "All the best"

Good example of why you shouldn't use email to vent your anger! (Especially if you are an egotistical snob)

His overuse of expletives ruin their shock value. He's ruining it for everyone else.

Well personally I don't find the reference offensive and to be honest I don't think the e-mail is brilliant at all. Its just sad. Haven't read Giles Coren before but if he writes like that, I am not missing anything

how can it not be offensive ? being drunk and Irish was the common perception in the UK all through the 80s and ran through to the 90s - the only jobs over there were on building sites for the lucky few as plasterers and labourers. He needs this referencing as a comparison? it's distinctly offensive to Irish emigrants and racist to irish as a whole.

Wouldn't see Christy Moore inviting him around for tea and biscuits....

I personally don't find it offensive either.

Thought the 'all the best' the end was priceless.

I have signed off an odd email 'Kindest regards' when I mean the very opposite.

Back