Gifting my home to adult child.

membean

I want to sell my home to my married daughter for E145,000. I bought it 3 years ago for E290,000 and I estimate it's current market value ito be E350,000. It is mortgage free. I have lived with her and her husband for the 3 years and now want to live with my elderly mother to care for her. I have not gifted my daughter anything beforenow. I am fully aware of the possible ramifications and still want to proceed. I absolutely do not want to employ the services of a solicitor to transfer the title deeds. My question :
1. What tax, if any, will she and/or I be liable for ?
2. Is there a legal form we can both sign to complete the transfer?

IANAL - I think what you might be looking for is a Deed of Assignment.

However if I were your daughter, I would absolutely be looking for a solicitor to complete the transfer.

In years to come, they may want to sell or mortgage the property, any mistakes made now could cause huge headaches in the future.

I absolutely do not want to employ the services of a solicitor to transfer the title deeds.

This makes no sense at all.

You must convey the property to your daughter and requires a complex legal procedure. It is not a job for amateurs.

Assuming the title is clean, it should not be that expensive.

Brendan

No CGT for you because it was your home...stamp duty for her based on 1% of the market value (i.e. €3,500)...potentially CAT for her, but on the basis that she has her €310k threshold still intact, no tax would be payable. It's trivial, but the first €3k of the value would be disregarded, so "only" €202k of her threshold would be used up.

CAT surely must be payable on the market value too ?
Is it worth trying to get away with selling it like 10% below market ?
I'm afraid if you go ahead and sell it for 145k, the revenue will do their own valuation and might end up inflating the price a bit more for CAT purposes .

CAT surely must be payable on the market value too ?
Is it worth trying to get away with selling it like 10% below market ?
I'm afraid if you go ahead and sell it for 145k, the revenue will do their own valuation and might end up inflating the price a bit more for CAT purposes .

You'd only pay CAT on the difference between the amount paid (€145k) and market value (possibly €350k) less the Small Gift Exemption (€3k).

Referring to GG's first reply: her gift threshold is intact so on that basis she would not pay CAT?

Back