Giant's Causeway - where to stay

shaking

My mother (in her 60's) is planning on going up North for a weekend to see the Giant's Causeway and has asked me to book her a hotel. Can anyone recommend a place to stay? Portrush has been suggested to me would that be a good base?

Hi there shaking,

I've been in the north a few times for the day and I have to say that in my experience Portstewart is a nicer place than Portrush. the beach in Portstewart is miles long whereas the beach in Portrush is much smaller and dirtier. portrush has or had a reputation of having a themepark and fair ground driven theme whereas Portstewart is much more of a seaside resort place. Don't get me wrong both are beautiful places but I'd go to Portstewart befor I'd go to portrush. It is a little further away though.

The Bushmills Inn usually gets good write-ups, especially for quality of food etc. (I've no connection to it)

S

Can anyone tell me if there should be any problems driving a southern reg car to Northern Ireland.Thinking of going to Giants Causeway later on in the year.
Thanks

On the places to stay near giants causeway i would also recommend Portstewart. . . was there 2yrs in a row & its a beautiful seatown town.

Joer, don't think you'll have any problems, myself & my partner (who is from NI) go up at least twice a yr & we have never had any problems. Just be aware that Portrush, Portstewart & Bushmills are all orange areas. . . .So i won't go around with the tri-colour straped to your back.

As i said, we never had any trouble. . . we even watched an orange march.
Giant's Causeway is wonderful & if you have time check out Carrick-a-rede rope bridge.

Hope you have a good time.

Would concur with Portstewart - we stayed for a week in Portrush a few summers ago. Great for the small kids during the day as full of amusements etc but Portstewart much nicer and seems more safer at night. Also consider the other direction - Bushmills or Ballycastle. The northern coast is absolutely beautiful.
We dined in the Bushmills Inn and it is lovely - quaint and intimate with lots of little snugs etc - certainly gets terrific reviews but the kerbs in the village are painted red white and blue !
With regards to driving a southern reg car - previous poster summed it up - no problem at all.

also,

staying in Derry City is an option, its about 45mins drive and you can cover the causeway coast in a day trip. City Hotel in Derry doing good deals. Also, it would be good to join a walking tour of the old walls of Derry. A really facinating couple of hours.

Hi Shaking. I'm actually from the area and I'd certainly recommend the Bushmills Inn, although it's a little pricey. There is the BayView Hotel in Portballintrae, about 1 mile from Bushmills which is handy for the Causeway, Dunluce Castle, Bushmills Distillery, Portrush & Portstewart.

Jon

Planning to go to the Causeway in a few weeks time. Will be coming from Belfast direction. Stupid question, but where exactly is it? Where do I drive towards?

When you get there, is there a car park? Do you have far to walk?

Planning to go to the Causeway in a few weeks time. Will be coming from Belfast direction. Stupid question, but where exactly is it? Where do I drive towards?

When you get there, is there a car park? Do you have far to walk?

Drive up north from Belfast to Ballycastle, either via the coast road or via Ballymena. Giants Causeway is between BallyCastle and Portrush, right at the top of Antrim. You can drive right to it and there is a car park, toilets, souvenier shops and cafe. You can walk from car park (15 - 20mins) to it or there is a shuttle for £2 or similar, which takes about 3-5 mins.

Hi Shaking and tosullivan
My wife and i were at the Giants Causeway on the August weekend.We stayed in the York hotel in Portstewart.Its a very nice and fairly small hotel.Food was good
, rooms very nice and staff very nice.
We went via Antrim Ballymena and Coleraine,to Portstewart .We went early next morning to Giants Causeway, after breakfast, which turned out to be a good plan ,because when we were leaving at about 2.30 the traffic coming to it was very heavy.It was a lovely weekend .Its close enough to Derry for a trip also.

Guy's,

I use to do a lot of business in that neck of the woods and I always stayed in the Raddisson in Limavady. It's called the Raddisson Roe.

It has 2 great restaurants and is on a golf course. It has a gym and spa.

It is very quiet but the rooms and hotel were very relaxing and I would often bring Mrs Paul24 there for a weekend break.

The hotel is half ways between colerain and Derry and is an ideal spot for exploring the northern coast.

[broken link removed]

Paul24

"There is the BayView Hotel in Portballintrae"

JonG thanks for that recommendation. Stayed there last night. Room 208 no great view but spotlessly clean and can easily accommodate 4 persons. At STG75 (total for all) for the night with full breakfast it represents excellent value. Rooms would also suit families. The location is super and you can walk from the hotel door to the Giant's Causeway and on to the rope bridge along the excellent costal path. As a base for avid walkers I'd give it 10/10.

Back