GF moving in, trying to decide how much rent she should pay

I thank you all for this. I see it's way more tricky that first thought. I was looking to find the fair amount.
I guess what I thought was if we had it in a rent book we can look at it almost like a landlord arangment,
however as that is not the defacto arrangment it might be pointless.

Last edited:
Correct, it'd be wrong to think it isn't possible. This is why we're trying to keep everything on the books.
We though by paying rent and not paying the mortgage per se, we would be making sure she has no claim
on the place. Again, her idea/thoguht process, not mine. I do think however that it's fair is she pays rent if she's living there.
What might be an idea is something in writing capturing the actual situation, that she is moving in to allow her to rent her place out, to make some extra money, in return she is giving you a share of the savings from that to help with bills and the money is not going toward owning a share of your house in any way, and should the two of you ever separate the understanding is that she will return to her own place (if that's possible the way tenants rights are going!). Getting her to sign something so you are both on the same page seems sensible. On the original question she might work out her old outgoings on her place (mortgage) minus the new outgoings net of rent, all the renting expenses, tax etc. and you work out some share of that saving that she is making, she would need to first set aside a fund to pay tax and for a maintenance fund for any repairs etc. Anyway best of luck with it, hope it all works out great for you both.

What might be an idea is something in writing capturing the actual situation, that she is moving in to allow her to rent her place out, to make some extra money, in return she is giving you a share of the savings from that to help with bills and the money is not going toward owning a share of your house in any way, and should the two of you ever separate the understanding is that she will return to her own place (if that's possible the way tenants rights are going!). Getting her to sign something so you are both on the same page seems sensible. On the original question she might work out her old outgoings on her place (mortgage) minus the new outgoings net of rent, all the renting expenses, tax etc. and you work out some share of that saving that she is making, she would need to first set aside a fund to pay tax and for a maintenance fund for any repairs etc. Anyway best of luck with it, hope it all works out great for you both.
Am sure she will love that

Am sure she will love that
She suggested it! She's been in a situation where someone has tried to do it to her, so wants to be very legal about it.
TBH, I don't get this disaproval of this. I also co-own a few places with an old friend and we've always had a very strong legal agrement in place in case of fall out. It protects both parties, I think it shoud be the same in this relatioship.

Moving in with your partner is challenging. Even if you try to protect the romance, you have to talk about the real stuff too. Rent, utility bills are recurring too often to exclude from the daily conversation. I realised that life is not a romance movie, after I move din with my boyfriend :)

1. Your girlfriend wants to move in and live with you.
2. You have a grown daughter.
3. Girlfriend intends renting her home out.
4. All you want to know is what is fair rent.

Irrespective of romance it appears she wants a business arrangement. So treat the matter in a businesslike way e.g. standing order for rent, keep details of day-to-day expenses. Leave a paper trail.

The plan is to use a rent book under rent a room so there is record that it's just rent and not payment of mortgage.
All sounds good now, move forward 5 yrs you have nasty breakup,hope you don't. She buys a lamp, curtains etc, she is more than a lodger, if worst happens everyone changes and with others putting their 2pence in. She will get something, that I am sure off. Sorry for been negative but bad things happens,
To protect your daughters inheritance maybe think about putting her name on the deeds with you, not sure of legal side of doing this,

Last edited:
Back