getting sick while on jsa or jsb.

moonman

a friend of mine lost his job a few weeks ago and he is on jsa or jsb i am not sure . he worked in his last job for about 7 or 8 months and he was let go as there was not enough business for to justify keeping him and another person. his wife has a decent job so i dont know what he is on jsa or jsb. he gets his money from his local post office on wednesdays and last week he had a flue like cold/illness and he went to the post office to collect. i asked why he didn't give it a miss and collect two weeks when he was feeling better and he told me he would need a doctors cert for to receive payment. surely he would not have to pay a doctor 55 to 60 ruro to collect 175 or whatever he gets , is there no allowance in cases like that. hopefully someone can answer ,thanks.

Jobseeker payments must be collected every week. Uncollected payments are returned to DSP.

If a jobseeker is ill, they can apply for illness benefit.

You have 5 working days to pick up your payment. If you are sick enough to not be able to get to the post office any day for a week, you probably are sick enough to need to go to a doc and therefore you can get a sick cert.

Gipiman,, thanks for your reply but would they be that strict if say my friend had a sore throat for a couple of days and was not able to attend for say a couple of days.

As I said, if your payment is available on a Wednesday, you can pick it up any time up until the COB the next Tuesday.

thanks thats great, i will tell him over the coming weekend , i will show him the replies.

As I said, if your payment is available on a Wednesday, you can pick it up any time up until the COB the next Tuesday.
Are you sure about this ? Back in the day many moons ago when I used to collect on a Wednseday in the PO it was available till the Friday but was returned by Monday.

Back