Getting rid of ...

Audrey

How can I get rid of a sofa and armchair? I am treating myself to a new suite but can't take delivery obviously until the current furniture is gone. I have tried "FreeCycle" (as I'd like the old furniture to continue to be used) and advertised in the Buy and Sell. People take an interest, promise to come along, and then fail to do so. I have to take delivery of the new suite fairly soon - can't expect them to store it forever. What can I do??

Do you have a Link of any kind in your area? I think they're parish leaflets. I know my local one is always looking for furniture for needy families, usually requested by SVDP.

Oops - sorry - didn't notice earlier that you had already tried Freecycle.

I was sure that boards.ie had a "free stuff" forum for people to give stuff away that they didn't want but I can't seem to find it now. On the other hand I have seen people post free stuff in the [broken link removed] so perhaps that's what I'm thinking of. I've found the boards.ie FS forums good for buying and selling computer hardware recently.

Ring your nearest recycling centre and ask if they will accept it, and if not if they know of one that will. Some of the recycling centres will take larger furniture, I believe.

you could try a charity organisation other than the big ones, such as centres for physical/intellectual disabilities... they have outreach community homes and are always glad to get furniture/furnishings.

If all else fails, and assuming you have a back garden, get out the jigsaw and cart it off in parts to your local dump.

I've been known to dispose of the odd couch/bed/washing machine in my time.

Ham Slicer said:
If all else fails, and assuming you have a back garden, get out the jigsaw and cart it off in parts to your local dump.

I've been known to dispose of the odd couch/bed/washing machine in my time.

No back garden. No front garden. NO side garden. Small terraced house. I'll bring the lot to one of the Co Council recyling centres. I've tried everything else. Thanks everybody.

Ham Slicer said:
OK - So I've brought the parts of the jigsaw to the local dump. Now what do I do with the couch?

Back