Getting rid of old paint cans,with contents.

Paul O Mahoney

As the title says is there a service that would come to the house and take this away.

I know certain municipal dumps, and private ones will take them at approximately €1 per litre.

I don't drive anymore due to health and would pay the extra to get rid of this stuff.

If anyone has used a legitimate service I'd be delighted to hear.

We are in Maynooth btw, so Dublin and surrounding areas would be acceptable.

Thanks

Last summer i put up an ad on adverts.ie offering about 15 random tins of leftover paint & some guy came & took them. I couldn't believe it. I asked him what he was going to do with them but he was a bit evasive.

Last summer i put up an ad on adverts.ie offering about 15 random tins of leftover paint & some guy came & took them. I couldn't believe it. I asked him what he was going to do with them but he was a bit evasive.
I tried that too, and was worried about where theyd end up . Thus my post

As the title says is there a service that would come to the house and take this away.

I know certain municipal dumps, and private ones will take them at approximately €1 per litre.

I don't drive anymore due to health and would pay the extra to get rid of this stuff.

If anyone has used a legitimate service I'd be delighted to hear.

We are in Maynooth btw, so Dublin and surrounding areas would be acceptable.

Thanks
Could you get a friendly local taxi driver to take them to the Thornton's facility in Dunboyne? How many do you have to get rid of?

Could you get a friendly local taxi driver to take them to the Thornton's facility in Dunboyne? How many do you have to get rid of?
We have cars but everyone is " really busy " and Dunboyne he raises the tin and estimates the contents and you pay a euro per litre in cash , no card transaction allowed. Well that's pre pandemic

We have cars but everyone is " really busy " and Dunboyne he raises the tin and estimates the contents and you pay a euro per litre in cash , no card transaction allowed. Well that's pre pandemic
It was the same the last time I was there. He was very fair in his pricing. Went easy on me. It is a bit amateur though.

I dropped a dozen or so old paint cans (both tin as well as plastic) to Dublin city North Strand bring centre earlier this year
Had to pay €20 (as I have an estate car - €15 otherwise), but they took everything.

As you don't drive, might be worth looking at getting a small skip / skip bag specifically for paint? but most likely more expensive.

EDIT: looks like panda (previously GreenStar) https://www.panda.ie/ is the company managing the bring centres for Dublin City. They also do skip bags - delivery and collection.
I can't see on their website that paint would be explicitly forbidden in their skips - but maybe give them a call and ask.

Last edited:
Listed under items you can't put in a skip here. I believe all skip providers have this stipulation.
Ah thanks, shame. So a very tricky situation for the OP if all skip providers do the same.
Still, might be worth calling one or two to see if they offer any options for people who aren't able to drive themselves.
(I know, ask a friend an all that...)

Reactions: Leo
Surely some painter would use it up somehow or are they so fussy when they start a new job that must have all new gear? I made up a mixed brew of various neutral shades and will be using up to paint garden walls.

Surely some painter would use it up somehow or are they so fussy when they start a new job that must have all new gear? I made up a mixed brew of various neutral shades and will be using up to paint garden walls.
Once opened a few times, paint will be beyond its best and no professional would stake their reputation on a product they have no come back on. They usually only purchase paint for the job on hand too, and unless it's a common or trending colour and finish, it might just end up going unused for even longer, deteriorating all the time.

I recall a couple of years ago going to my local civic amenity centre, oil based paints and varnishes were put to one side but anything else I was told bin into where household waste was being dumped. I might as well have chucked them in the normal bin.

Once opened a few times, paint will be beyond its best and no professional would stake their reputation on a product they have no come back on. They usually only purchase paint for the job on hand too, and unless it's a common or trending colour and finish, it might just end up going unused for even longer, deteriorating all the time.
Paint does "go off" and let's be honest we all buy more than is needed and the producers seem, recently, only to have 2.5lts as the smallest pot. I had to paint the gate recently bought a 1 litre pot thinking that would be plenty, got 75% done and not a drop left went to buy .5 ltr to finish off didn't have it, and I tried the 2 main diy stores and the Range.

But even the empty pots can't be disposed of I have 6 10 ltr pots washed out 4 collecting rainwater the other 2 I use for making nettle feed . Can't do anything with half full pots, although someone said wash it down the drain.........not happening and probably illegal.

Theres a business idea for someone

Disposing of old paint cans is definitely a pain. Did a shed clear out a few years ago and dropped a load of cans to the Estuary Recycling center in Swords - think it was similar to newirishman where I paid for the car.

But came across this crowd on tv a few weeks back http://www.rediscoverycentre.ie/rediscover-paint/ they appear to collect from recycle centers but might be worth giving them a shout

Back