Getting rid of garden waste

bizz1

Hi,
Great weather out - took the opportunity to trim back / demolish the garden however now we have a great pile of hedge / tree cuttings etc.

Any suggestions on a cost effective way to get rid of it that does not involve multiple and messy trips to the landfill (12 euro per car load - would require plenty of trips)

Many thanks

I bought one of those garden shredders in lidl a couple of years ago. I been using it to shred stuff up to approx 3/4" in diameter. Once shredded I mix it in with my grass cuttings (pretty big lawn) and then let it ferment for want of a better word. After this I break up the end result and spread it over our shrubs etc and they seem to thrive on it.

Depending on where you are living, the Green Waste Recycling Facility, Esker Lane Lucan may be of use. The charges are

Car only €8.00
Cars & Small box trailer €25.00

Hours
Tuesday – Friday 8.30am-5.30pm

Saturday 8.30am-4.00pm

A hatchback car with the rear seats folded down can take an awful lot of waste.

Murt

How about buy a composter? You probably have way more waste than will fill one composter, but leave it for a few months and you can get use out of it like burns suggested above. At least it'd use up some of it rather than just dumping it.

Have to agree with burns. Shredders are fantastic. The reduction in volume is amazing. We've reduced what could have been 20 or so bags of waste down to 1. We just spread that around under a few plants then and it eventually rotted away, or you could put it in the compost bin after you've shredded it.
We rent a fairly heavy duty one once a year from a garden centre.
(Don't know where you're living but the lawnmower shop in Cabinteely is where we rent ours.)

depending on where you live, alot of Bring centres take garden waste. We demolished our back garden too and just filled all the waste into fertiliser bags and dropped it into the bring centre. if it's a one off, it's sometimes not worth buying shredders etc...

Back