Getting married abroad

[broken link removed]
Recently attended a family wedding at the above villa and would highly recommend them. I will admit that I have no idea of the total price, but the day was magical...
As a guest, this villa was lovely, but at 17 room limited to immediate family (the cost was also a deterrant to some attendees), but there was a less expensive hotel a few miles away that many of the party used.
The location is perfect, and the hotel put on a fabulous day. Arriving back from the church (an old abbey about 500m away, there is a chapel onsite but our party was too big), there was seating on the lawn, champagne, water and juices set out, plus a selection of local cheeses / meats, and some general finger food.... beats having to grab a sandwich on the way back from the church at an irish wedding. The meal was 4 courses and the dessert was served outside by the pool, with a choise of local cheesecake or they also have traditional Italian ice cream cones (also sorbet cones).
In terms of transport, many flew into Rome and a bus was arranged to transport them, others rented cars after flying into Pisa, Bologna and Bologna Forli.

We got married in Germany in 2004 in Meissen Cathedral

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Meissen1.jpg

followed by a reception in Schloss Scharfenberg

[broken link removed]

for about 100 people from Germany and Ireland, fully catered, free bar, best wedding photographer anyone has ever seen and all for half the price of an average wedding in Ireland. It was a dream day, easy to organise (we speak German, but you might get by without it!).

Go for it!

Hi all,
One of the main reasons is that I dont want to spend 20-30k on 12 hrs and I want something a little different

But your guests will have to spend the 20 k. If you have 40 guests and they all spend 500 euro that will make up the 20k.

You are just putting the wedding costs on to them.

Hi there,
We're getting married next year, late May. We're planning on Spain, possibly Barcelona. We both would like to have the wedding ceremony outdoors and have a priest to provide the ceremony. From my limited knowledge priests will not marry outside a church, is this true? Does anyone know of an Irish priest or english speaking priest in Catalonia / Barcelona who I could contact about the query above? Any other advice or tips would be most welcome.

Thrifty. just saw your post . am hoping to get wed in dubrovnik July 2010. would you tell me the name of the hotel you used. we expect 80 -100 guest.

I have just been back from a wedding abroad this summer. I went to Greece for 1 week. I was asked to be bridesmaid.

I have to say it cost me alot of money in wedding presents and the trip itself. It is an awful expense to put onto guests. I spent more going away than I would have going to a wedding at home. The average wedding at home can cost up to 600 euro including hotel, drink money, present and outfit.

The present cost me 800 as I partly paid for the dress and the flights, spending and clothes cost me 1500. I would not be into doing this again and would definitley have no hesitation saying no to the people that asked.

i think from going to this wedding and other home weddings, it is better to have a wedding at home. It is more family and friends orientated and I think you get better value for money.

probably too late here but have you tried asking wedding related questions over on the www.mrs2be.ie forums? The girls there should be able to help you out.

Back