Getting feedback from public service interview?

Harlequin

I recently had an interview for a specific public service position. I knew during the interview that I'd made a lot of mistakes and so on and I was pretty sure when I left that I didn't get the job so I wasn't surprised to get a letter to that effect. However, they told me that I was placed high up on a panel for any future vacancies etc etc so I obviously didn't screw up the interview quite as badly as I had thought.

What I'm wondering is what would be the best way to find out how I scored in the interview, where I lost marks and so on. I'm not querying the process or fairness or anything like that - I just want to find out where I went wrong so that I can work on it for next time.

What would be the best way to do this? The whole process was carried out through the Public Appointments Service.

Thanks!

Re: Getting feedback from public sector interview?

Hi Harlequin

I've no experience of the public sector interview 'protocol' but I would contact (email if possible so as not to put them 'on the spot') the person who interviewed you and ask when they could spend 10 minutes giving you feedback on your interview. Tell them you want to know what you did well / where you could improve.

Apart from getting the feedback you want - this should also reinforce your interest in future opportunities and demonstrates a professional approach to following up on things.

Good Luck

Dicey

if it's public sector you should be able to make a freedom of information request, but they might have a more standardised way of giving feedback.

You are entitled to meaningful feedback under the public sectors Recruitment Codes of Practice so there is no need to FOI it.

Contact whoever issued the letter (usually HR) and request a copy of your marking sheet and notes taken by the interview board. If you need anything further after that the HR department should be able to assist you.

Thanks everyone, that's very helpful. :) I'll send a letter asking the HR guy for my marking sheet and feedback. Thanks!

The public sector is a very large area. Do you mean the public service?

aj

The public sector is a very large area. Do you mean the public service? or perhaps the civil service?

aj

The public sector is a very large area. Do you mean the public service? or perhaps the civil service?

aj

It was not the civil service but perhaps public service is a clearer description. I have edited the title and text accordingly in case anyone finds it misleading or confusing.

Contact whoever issued the letter (usually HR) and request a copy of your marking sheet and notes taken by the interview board. If you need anything further after that the HR department should be able to assist you.

Verbal feedback by one of the board would be the most valuable. Copies of written notes may not provide suffiicent in isolation.

Insisting on copies might also raise the notion that you're planning to appeal which might encourage a more defensive repsonse.

As someone said earlier they should have systems in place - they are actually required under the codes of practice. I have got marking sheets and notes in the past.

Back