Getting a Stable/Half Door made ~ some questions

PaddyBloggit

I'm getting a stable door (half door) made but the joinery has been reluctant to make it from the outset.

They are making windows for me - no issue here but came up with all kinds of excuses not to make the half door; can't be sealed properly, door will sag, multi-point locking system won't work etc.

Eventually, when I mentioned there was no issue with me getting it made elsewhere, they decided they could do it.

They want to make it using mahogany. What are people's opinions re. the use of mahogany to make it?

It's probably not something they do much of. The regular stuff they'll have jigs/machinery setup to make the joints, cut required lengths, etc.. For a one-off piece, they'll spend a lot more time marking/measuring out. So more scope for error, lower profit margin.

Teak/iroko would be a better choice of wood for external use. Higher oil content than mahogany at about the same price. I believe a lot of wood being sold as teak is actually Iroko, similarly, timber being sold as mahogany is likely to be other species.

Mahogany is a pretty dense wood, so should be resistant to scratches/dents to a degree.

What finish are you planning? Varnish, paint, oil, other?

Half doors shouldn't be a problem, they are basically the same as a set of double doors on their side.

They are correct, multipoint locking is a disaster on them. There is a multipoint locking fitting especially for half doors but it is virtually impossible to use.

I would usually lock them with a mortise lock & handle to the lower door & a keyed alike deadlock to the top door.

Insist that they put a seal between the two doors, where I work make plenty of them without any problems, they are dearer as they are two doors instead of one.

Teak/iroko definitely, timber was reclassified a number of years ago & mahogany isn't as suitable for external joinery as iroko.

A relation of mine has such a door. I recommend a hook on the wall so that when you open the top you can keep it open with a latch. I also remember you add a small metal bar/latch from the top to the bottom that so that you can open both at once, once you've unlocked both. I don't have the technical terms for this devices, but it's just to keep both doors together (most of the time), as I found this was an annoyance. I'm not sure what type of wood was used. But it's a lovely door.

Have a split front door myself, unusual but I like it. Nice in the summer that you can open the top bit and know that the kids can't get out.

The one i've seen had a half door in front of a full door behind.
The half door opens out and the full door opens inwards.
The people made the doors themselves I think.

The one i've seen had a half door in front of a full door behind.
The half door opens out and the full door opens inwards.
The people made the doors themselves I think.

Yes these are no problem either & you can also have them with both the full door & the half door opening in but you need to have an extra wide ope for this as it is done on a double stepped frame.

Back