Getting a barcode for a product

paddi22

Hi,

Looking to get a barcode made up for a product that will be going nationwide in supermarekts. I've never done this before so I'm not sure what the best supplier of them is. There is one crowd who charge €1500+plus for one.

Does anyone know a cheaper option?

Hi Paddy,
Creating a barcode is a simple task. What you got to ask yourself is the following
1. What is in the barcode, is it a static part number ot a unique unit identifier with something like a batch number.
2. How will the barcode be applied to the product is it a paper or steel label etc.
3. How are you going to track the barcodes ie what barcodes went to what supermarket etc.

The answers to these questions will drive the cost of your barcode solution

Creating a bar-code that is GS1 standards-compliant is not a simple task and is likely to be expensive -

Check that any supplier who quotes for business is suitably trained and accredited.

GS1 is another attempt at a global standard which is not followed or implemented to ant great degree in industry. I would advise finding out if the gs1 standard is a requirement for your customers. if its not have a read and follow the points that are most relevant to you.

At the end of the day its the barcode solution which will cost the money not the barcode

Hi Paddi,
wondering what you did about the barcode? I've got a new product (content on a CD) and wondering about a barcode for it -- but I'm likely to be selling it through one shop and don't expect to be doing another actual product, as mostly we'll be selling the content as a download from the website. Am waiting to hear if the shop will require a barcode, and hoping they won't . . . but it'd be good to know the options and costs.

Back