Gerry Ryan found dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Story as been all over the internet for the last hour. Some reports are that he was dead for some time.

Died of a suspected heart attack this morning in his apartment

Sad news indeed.

RIP G Ryan

Last edited:
He wasn't on the show today, thought that was a bit strange. Hope it's not true but if it is
R.I.P. Gerry

Weird though isnt it, wasnt he supposed to be a hypochondriac, and all the slagging he was getting re the Health of the Nation programme, you'd imagine he's have had himself well checked out. Now ok theres only so much you can do but a man of that age shouldnt just drop without any warning signs.

Agree with The Banker - his weight had ballooned a lot in the past number of years, looked like someone who was leading an unhealthy lifestyle in terms of food and exercise.

Very sad - his familiar voice will be well missed.

I remember him from the early Lambo days and all the females my age loved him...

He slowly but surely put on weight over the years but I was shocked to see how ballooned he was when presenting the new series of the Ryan Confidential last week with Bill Cullen.
He always said on his show how he loved fine wine, fine food and the occasional cigar. That kind of stuff eventually catches up with you.

I have to say I am really sad at the death of Gerry Ryan, He had a great way of making people feel good and I used to think it was great that on eminute he would be chatting about bras,sex pure dirty things then a caller would get on and and tell him about how her son had dies aged four years old.He would the be able comfort that woman like no other I had seen either on radio or tv remarkable talent.
How he could change mood to suit the topic with th edrop of a hat.
RIP Gerry you will be missed

....but I was shocked to see how ballooned he was when presenting the new series of the Ryan Confidential last week with Bill Cullen.

I saw that and was completely shocked as well, in fact myself and hubby saw him and then spent a few minutes wondering was the make up artist just really bad or was his colour bad.

Guess it was the latter.

Bit of a shock alright.

My sympathy goes out to his family. Whatever anyone thought of Gerry (and I know opinion can be deeply divided about his particular "shtick") he was very popular, made a lot of people happy, was very good at what he did and by most accounts was a pretty nice guy too.

I met him once myself, years ago, kind of randomly in a non-celeb environment and I have to say I thought he was a decent guy. A nice balance of cheeky and charming.

RIP Gerry.

Never liked his style or radio shows to be honest, but this news still shocked me today.

I know he had a huge following and I really feel for his partner, ex wife and children.

Far too young.

RIP.

When I was in 2nd year in the RTC, 6 of us rented a damp 1 bedded cottage for a week until we found a proper house.

I remember us up the attic room one morning proper belly laughing listening to the show (it was about people having funny names like Annet Curtain etc.) He was such a shock jock at the time.

I spoke with 2 of the people today and both remembered that morning laughing, eating a breakfast of brack with jam cos we had no butter with black tea cos we had no milk.

He made me laugh a good few times after that.

May he rest in peace.

I remember about 18-20 years ago listening to him one morning when a girl called in who was pregnant. She was 15 and her parents wanted her to go to England for an abortion but she didn’t want to. When she told that much of the story Gerry just said that this isn’t something to discuss in public but he’d get her help. For the next 10-15 minutes he was off air (there was music playing) and when he got back on-air he didn’t say anything about it. I always respected him for that.

Always had only good things to say about him, found him very entertaining.
I enjoyed his paper review in the morning the times I did get to listen in.

R.I.P. Gerry Ryan

sorry to see anyone pass away but isn't media hysteria (mainly because its one of their own), books of condolences etc. not over the top ?

sorry to see anyone pass away but isn't media hysteria (mainly because its one of their own), books of condolences etc. not over the top ?

No. Its very sad to someone as young as 53 pass away. He wasn't my cup of tea but obviously a lot of people did like him and they are showing this appreciation now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back