Genuine VRT exemption?

Might be worth buying the car 10 to 12 months before returning to IRL. That way you can insure it for 12 months in UK which is presumably cheaper. When you move to IRL, the insurance companies might recognise your UK insurance and give you one year's no claims bonus discount.

Hi guys,

First time poster so go easy on me... (sorry if my question has already been asked and answered a few times).

I'm planning to move to Ireland with my wife, and we'll have no problems with the residency rules.

My only question relates to lending the vehicle. My wife will be the owner and registered keeper of the car, but according to the rules I wouldn't be allowed to drive it as you're not allowed to lend the car to anyone?
There are conflicting views in this thread - someone said it's fine to have an extra named driver on the insurance policy as the benefit from any sale still only relates to the owner, but someone else said that it's not the benefit from sale that counts, and that lending the car to anyone breaks the rules straight away. This seems unfair on a husband and wife bringing a car over together - does anyone have a definitive answer on this?

Need to buy the car ASAP

Thanks very much!
Pete.

Hi
I imported a car from the UK last year, and I was not allowed to have anyone else insured on it until 12 months post importation (ie the year that you have to keep the car , so you will not be liable for VRT).
This was written on the documentation I got from the VRT office at the time.
You should contact your local VRO to confirm (details on [broken link removed] link).
I found the VRO helpful, but hard to get through to on the phone. They do respond to email questions also.
Nicola

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for the speedy response!

I'll contact the VRO just to be 100% sure, but I was hoping that there's some kind of exception to the rule for husband / wives. It seems a bit unfair if a family move over with a car, as it looks like only 1 person would be allowed to drive it for 12 months. This probably wouldn't be practical for us and we'd have to pay the VRT as both my wife and I would need to drive the car in Ireland.

I'll let you know how I get on as soon as I have some news from the VRO (if they ever answer the phone!!!).

Cheers,
Pete.

I just talked to someone at the VRO and he confirmed that it is fine for a husband AND wife to be insured on a car (providing that you meet all of the other VRT exemption requierements) and still avoid paying VRT.

He told me the rule that says you aren't allowed to lend the car to anyone in the first 12 months does not apply to spouses.

Hope this info helps anyone else moving to Ireland with families and a car!

Cheers,
Pete.

That's good to know.
I wonder if it applies to co-habiting couples too (My boyfriend hasn't been allowed to drive the car..)
Nicola

Hi all

When did this come in? I imported a car under transfer of residence a year ago and I've just checked my registration certificate - there's absolutely nothing about insurance - just the note the "Disposal before xxxx requires revenue approval". There's nothing about insurance on that link BTW. Can anyone quote the text from their documentation?

SSE

Hi SSE
"Under the Transfer of Residence regulation only yourself or your spouse/partner, providing they transferred with you, can drive the vehicle."(letter dated 7/Nov/2007)

(my italics)
That answers my own question, actually, as spouse/partner both mentioned.
However, it appears that they would have needed to have transferred back into the country too.
If not, then neither they, or anyone one else, may drive the vehicle according to this
Nicola

thanks Nicola

Well I never knew that, although I can't see how it would be enforced - if you have the insurance disc etc. who's ever going to know?

I assume it's just for the first year anyway.

SSE

Hi sse,
I'm not sure how they could check.
Although if you're getting car insurance online, one of the Qs is if the car is imported.
Perhaps that would flag it to the insurance company, although I'm not quite sure why they'd care!
It is just for the first year (after registration date, not import date, by the way. My registraion date was some months after importing the car, bit of a pain), then you can do whatever you want with the car.
Certainly if you don't fufill the stated conditions, there is always the chance that you would have to pay the VRT that would have been owed if it wasn't a Transfer of Residence vehicle.
Nicola

Back