Genuine Query re: recent announcement in public pensions

WaterSprite

Hi all

this is a genuine question and not a call to arms to flame the public sector.

I saw these two articles (one from the IT, one from the Indo):

IT: [broken link removed]

Indo: http://www.independent.ie/national-...pc-tax-on-pensions-of-euro100000-2949194.html

One (IT) says that those public/civil servants on a pension of over €100k per year will have an increased levy of 20%.

The other (Indo) says that a new top rate of tax of 20% (currently 10.5%) will be imposed on pension payments.

The two are very different in my eyes. My question is whether pension payments for civil/public servants are taxed (regardless of how the pension is paid for initially) at a different rate than those paid to other people?

So, ignoring other factors such as DC/DB pensions, when someone gets a theoretical €100k pension, are they taxed differently on the monthly payments made to them depending on whether they are public/civil servants or not?

Thanks
Sprite

WaterSprite,

Pension payments in the private and public sector are taxed at the same rates.

Retired public servants currently pay a 'pensions levy' which is applied at different rates depending on their salary. A new higher level of 20% looks as if it to be introduced and will be applied to the part of the pension over 100k. The levy is deducted before tax is calculated.

Regards,
Andrew

Thanks both - that Indo article was completely misleading in that regard. Jeez, I hate the Indo!

I think the pension levy on retired pensions is illegal and someone should bring a case against it. I am not affected by this and will not for a long time but people took the retirement based on a set amount and that has now been reduced. Have no problem with it being taxed as that affects everyone equally private and public.

Just a question about the €100,000 cut off point - is it true that, as in the case with some TD's, that it only applies to individual pension amounts over 100K i.e. if someone has 2 or even 3 pensions each under the cutoff it doesn't apply to the actual total?

Back