General info help on property investment overseas

M

macca38

Hi,

Im thinking of looking outside Ireland for an Invesment , probably buy to let. Im at info overload stage.

The pro's and cons of almost evey city in Europe.

Does anyone have advice on where id get info on capital gain trends/rental income/average propery prices/per sq metre prices ect , on a range of locations in one place ?

Thanks

In terms of the larger cities in CEE, it's almost impossible to give accurate statistics as each market tend to be extremely complicated. Developing property markets are very difficult to analyse with sweeping generalisations.

www.globalpropertyguide.com might be useful for some general information but I've found many of its statistics to be inaccurate.

Do you have time to visit a few of the places that you might be interested in?

I agree with clubman past performance cant be trusted. Whatever you do dont buy to let in ireland going by this article on aertel today [broken link removed] apparently rental income only covers 66% of mortgage repayments on new houses!

it doesnt say in the article clubman but its a bit worrying for the buy to let-ter isnt it either way!

Well your doing the right thing looking at cities and not resorts where there is no return to the investor, just the developer.

The best cities to invest at the moment IMO-

Warsaw
Prague
Brno
Bratislava

Well your doing the right thing looking at cities and not resorts where there is no return to the investor, just the developer.

The best cities to invest at the moment IMO-

Warsaw
Prague
Brno
Bratislava

Despite my conflict of interest on resorts ringle thats a sweeping statement, surely it comes down to the particular resort, and the occupancy levels there. I would agree with you to some degree, but personally I wouldnt be developing in a place that I didnt think there was a good return for the buyer.
My advice to the poster would be Bratislava for your first buy. The oldtown is beautiful if you can get something there or in the close vicinity. for your first buy you would want something not too far away, easily accessible for you to give you peace of mind. Bratislava has attractive taxation for investors (if any tax is attractive!), its a pivot for Budapest, Vienna and Prague with a new motorway linking all cities. Many companies are relocating for low labour costs - theres also a town called Trnava which you might look into where a number of large factories are locating at the moment. when I was there a couple of years ago I knew a small developer who was building blocks of about 20 units - he was signing leases with volkswagon to rent them to the top execs for blocks of five years and passing that on to the buyers. Im sure there are other developers and agents offering a similar thing if you do some digging

Thanks for the advice guys, might try to take a trip in the new year. I agree about Ireland , thats why im thinking outside.

I have a couple here but the value is gone now and i got mine a few years ago.

Any other investment destination tips would be appreciated.

Anyone looked at this one ?
River Park Project Bratislava
http://www.ceinvest.sk/riverpark.shtml

http://www.ceinvest.sk/riverpark.shtml

had a look at the link there, thats been in the pipeline for a few years, big irish investment in there as far as I know and it looks good. Only thing is the prices are very high- average of 4000euro psq/m so for a one bed your looking at over 320,000euro. Not sure if your going to get a big enough yield on that for the price to get pushed up, youd need to research the potential rental market and see if it stacks up

€4,000/sqm is pretty much the going rate for properties with an (albeit much nicer) Danube view in Budapest, so I'm not surprised. I would share your concern though, GDE about yield. To get a 7% return would mean renting the property consistently for €1867 per month.

Does this look better value? sorry for being a pain but i havent a clue when it come to overseas.

New Apartments
Order by PriceCityStreetAreaBedroomFloor [broken link removed][broken link removed]
[broken link removed]Sky Towers - 437
Slovakia City Street Area Bedrooms Floor Bratislava
83.75 sqm 2 7 Price Price/sqm 4,687,743 SKK 55,973 SKK 140,900 EUR 1,682 EUR 94,737 GBP 1,131 GBP

Anyone dealts with these guys

Obelisk Investments UK ?

Hi macca

When Obelisk is discussed on Askaboutmoney, they threated us with defamation proceedings, so we have had to ban discussion of Obelisk

Brendan
Administrator

macca,

You begin by saying that you are "at info overload stage", and now "you haven't a clue".

Perhaps you should take a step back and assimilate the info you have, then do some more research and visit before you invest anywhere.

macca, your original question called for general information regarding overseas property investment, yet you then post about a very specific development in a specific european city. No wonder your confused!

I suggest this thread is kept to discuss overseas property investment in general and leave the specific locations/developments to other threads.

aj

If you are looking for general information to make comparison on a variety of markets, all assessed by one body, then Colliers reports can be quite good to give a general market overview. You can sign up for them at www.colliers.com.

Do be aware that Colliers sell property, therefore there can be somewhat of a vested interest scenario, but if you read between the lines you tend to get the general gist of what is going on.

You should also remember that, by their very nature, these reports have to use averages which can hide an awful lot. It is best to treat them as general information to guide you on what areas may be worthy of consideration rather than placing your faith in them entirely.

At the end of the day if you want to purchase overseas you're going to have to get your feet on the ground in any destination you decide is worthy of consideration to get a sufficient level of local knowledge. No reports can substitute for this.

Anyone dealts with these guys

Obelisk Investments UK ?

I considered an investment with them, found the sales pitch very pushy and trying to rush me, I did weight up pros and cons and if the particular investment was suitable for me, I opted not to invest in the development, After the rude response i got from the rep for "wasting his time" I think I may have made the right decision.

In my experience you only find out a true character of a person in how he responds to a crisis situation.
From my experience - Obelisk wasnt for me, but saying that maybe many people have done well with them ?

For France, I find immoprix.com useful. The statistics are gathered from the French Notarys association and are compiled in conjunction with INSEE in France so are a genuine account of all transactions. Otherwise you can take a look at fnaim.fr

Back