General Christmas Chat

odyssey06

I didn't want to derail the other threads so kicking off a new one for general christmas \ new year \ festive season chat.
And to cover bases.... season's greetings!
(Which I think is much better than Happy Holidays, especially as we don't get a Thanksgiving unlike the Yanks)

Don't people much prefer to run up to christmas than that week between christmas and new year?

So whatever about cancelling Christmas, I feel I'm not ready for Christmas yet... a bit more time might help the country with booster rollout, quarantine the walking viruses that are schoolkids*, get the christmas shopping done... I say we push Christmas Day out by a few days. The government could give us that extra bank holiday early.

* Ok so that's a bit harsh but this is letting off steam

Happy Christmas to all on AAM.
I never feel very Christmassy in the lead up but I do love the few days around it and the time of between then and New Year. It's nice to be off and not get any work related phone calls and only limited emails.

Happy Christmas to all on AAM.
It has been a very quick year despite everything. There has been some great discussions and looking forward to lots more .....even before Christmas ⛄.

Hopefully no more restrictions as I'm having breakfast with Santa in the morning (smallies are coming too) and that will get me in the mood.

Holly bough and RTE guide lined up for tomorrow night

Nollaig Shona daoibh go léir. Ta súil agam gur seo an blian deireadh dé na restrictions uafasach agus go mbeidh Nollaig gan restrictions againn í mbliana!
We're off now to enjoy a meal out while it's still possible to do so at a reasonable hour!

While I was working, the lead-up was dominated by work events for customers and clients. Sounds great, but there's a limit to how many Christmas dinners in overcrowded restaurants you can really enjoy!

Now in a state of semi-retirement, I find the run-up to be particularly enjoyable. We've got the time to plan and organise a large extended family dinner on the big day, to get shopping done early, the house decorated and airport runs made.

My special job is to "feed" the Christmas cake liberally with brandy - you'd be amazed how much it takes;) - the bottle disappears in no time at all.

Happy Christmas one and all!

I'd like a taste of Baby Boomer's cake (after driving of course). Purple's wit has been up to his usual standard this year and I have no doubt it will continue into 2022. Odyssey after years of trying has become a huge overnight success, an entertaining poster and fitting that he should start this thread. Paul O'Mahoney kept us grounded all things Covid since its inception. If Joer is getting married, well best of luck to him; at least he'll have a few extra pints. Ceist Beag as Gaeilge has kept the language flag flying too. Peanuts will get through the Holly Bough shortly and I look forward to his/her future posts. Let's not forget the man who made all this possible. I'm sure the Burgessmeister will enjoy himself at this time too. Cervelo is probably pounding on his bike pedals in the south of Spain as I write and no doubt the Tour de France will be a challenge for him shortly.

I wish everybody a Happy and Peaceful Christmas. I hope all your problems will evaporate into thin air and whatever tensions the season brings will not last long. Drive on and enjoy! Keep that AAM smile.

I'd like a taste of Baby Boomer's cake (after driving of course). Purple's wit has been up to his usual standard this year and I have no doubt it will continue into 2022. Odyssey after years of trying has become a huge overnight success, an entertaining poster and fitting that he should start this thread. Paul O'Mahoney kept us grounded all things Covid since its inception. If Joer is getting married, well best of luck to him; at least he'll have a few extra pints. Ceist Beag as Gaeilge has kept the language flag flying too. Peanuts will get through the Holly Bough shortly and I look forward to his/her future posts. Let's not forget the man who made all this possible. I'm sure the Burgessmeister will enjoy himself at this time too. Cervelo is probably pounding on his bike pedals in the south of Spain as I write and no doubt the Tour de France will be a challenge for him shortly.

I wish everybody a Happy and Peaceful Christmas. I hope all your problems will evaporate into thin air and whatever tensions the season brings will not last long. Drive on and enjoy! Keep that AAM smile.
I will stick to the marriage that I signed up to and together with my Covid pass I might get an extra hour or two in the pub but don't tell anyone else ....

I'd like a taste of Baby Boomer's cake (after driving of course).

This is the recipe we've used for the last ten years, it was originally published in the Irish Times and it works every time. You can safely double the quantity of whiskey/brandy for overnight soaking of the fruit. It makes for a lovely luscious moist cake.

Back