Gave wrong account details, how to get money back

birdy

hi, my brother owed me money for tickets I bought on my credit card.

I gave him my current account number & sort code to transfer the money into my account, (this was last week) however I just realised today that i gave him the wrong account number. It was by text so I have a record of it.

What do I do, will I ring my bank (sort code is correct) or do I need to get him to ring his bank. Its a bit embarrassing. Or is it just going to be a lucky break for the person who owns the bank account, will I get any of it back.

Contact your bank - as it is the same bank and the same branch - and ask. Take it from there. Your brother may have to get involved if the bank refuses to transfer the money to you, but there is no harm in asking the bank first yourself. Presumably your brother put down your name as account holder's when paying in the money, not just account number? I don't think that person who owns that account can keep the money, there may not even be an account with that account number in which case the money might just be put in a suspense account - and sit there indefinitely until somebody claims it...

Your brother will have to contact the bank as he is the person who initiated the transaction. The bank will then have to approach the holder of the account the money was transferred to and ask their permission to reverse the transaction. As Greta says the funds may still be in a suspense account if the account number used does not exist.

You can check on the IPSO website by entering the NSC and account number in the account validation screen. If the details are invalid the money will be returned to the account that it originated from (your brother). If the account number happens to be valid the bank will have to seek permission from the owner of the account that the money was posted to reverse it.

Many thanks for all your help, will get started on it this afternoon, the brother is on the case.

Back