Gas fire ventilation

TRipley

Hello,

am converting an open fire to a gas fire for convenience and am debating whether to put a conventional or balanced flue fire in place. The balanced flue option works out eur1,000 more expensive.

The model I'm looking at is 5.2kW input and 4.4kW output. The fire place is in an open plan sitting/dining/kitchen which has an external wall vent.

If however we partition off the sitting area then the fire would be in a room without a vent (unless we core a new one).

My question is; is a conventional flue gas fire of this kW rating likely to deplete the oxygen in the room to the point where people begin to feel ill effects?

thanks,

You cannot install a gas fire in a room without dedicated non-closable ventilation. This is sized according to output of the gas fire, however, if there are other air consuming appliances, such as extractor fans, tumble driers, cookers, etc. in the same or adjoining rooms, these must be given consideration under the worst case scenario, i.e. all on at highest setting.
Balanced flue fires eliminate this need but some manufacturers may require additional.
You can also purchase a baffled air vent that will allow air to be induced into the room for combustion but will deter wind howling through. The most important factor for the vent is correctly sized & non-closable.
Another consideration is the flue. The integrity of the flue must be tested, with pellets.
Gas pipe & isolation is the other factor.

All of the above work must be carried out by an RGI.

thanks for that Shane007 - accepting that we have the correct room venting in place, my question then becomes;

is there a noticable real difference between a conventional and balanced flue in terms of oxygen depletion in the room leading to drowsiness etc etc

If the correct ventilation is in place, then oxygen depletion will not be an issue. I will add that gas fires are really only there for convenience & generally not for heat. Most of it goes up the flue! They can consume quite a bit of gas too.
My biggest advice would be to ensure all works are carried out by a registered & competent RGI. I have had to shut down too many them for my liking. Make sure the installer is using words like flue importance, testing & ventilation. He will have to carry out a full Flue Flow Test before installing it & a Spillage Test after it is installed. You should also receive a certificate of compliance.

Back