Garmin Sat Nav - which one to buy.

Paulsgirl

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me the best Sat Nav on the market for about €200-€250 (I may stretch to €300 depending on what options are on it).

I've checked a few shops and they seem to be getting rid of old stock so I'm waiting to see whats on offer in a few weeks.

I would need Ireland/UK and European maps and a nice to have option would be the lane assist.

Am also looking to get a Garmin.

Just wondering if anyone has bought one recently to give me feedback.

Thanks a mil,

Paulsgirl.

Have a garmin for work very easy to use, you shouldn't need to spend that much.

We have a Tom-Tom and would not recommend it , after using same through Dublin and Cork cities .

In fact it was more accurate in dublin rather than cork.

Not familiar with many roundabouts on route from south east to south west either

Frank, the voice recognition, does it work in Ireland or can you only use that feature with a postcode, do you know?

We rented a Garmin in U.S. last month. I had never used a Satnav before, but found the Garmin very easy to use and it really was a huge beneift to us.

I bought a Garmin 250 (with full EU mapping) before going on holidays to France. Absolutely brilliant and simple to use...I would have been lost without it! You should be able to get one for a lot less than €300 :

[broken link removed]

I did originally look at the 250 but now my husband is saying I should get the extra's (he already has his own garmin but its a few years old) like Voice recognition, lane assist etc. Especially as we plan to use this abroad a good bit next year. EU and Canada. Is Lane assist really that good?

Hi Paulsgirl

I bought the Garmin 765T with lane assist earlier this year. It is absolutely fantastic. I am working in the UK at the moment and would be lost (literally) without it! The lane assist is great when you come to big complicated roundabouts! I have also used it in Europe too.

One thing I did need to do was to download some new firmware from the Garmin website, as with anything computerised, they find bugs that need fixing from time to time. This will probably happen with all sat navs.

It's available for 299 from pixmania. You might find it cheaper somewhere else.

Rgds,
JT.

Hi JT,

What about Voice Guidance, does that work when you're hear in Ireland on that Sat Nav?

Btw, thanks for the info, very helpful.

Hi PaulsGirl,

Yes the voice guidance works perfectly in Ireland. This is great from a safety point of view because you dont have to watch the screen all the time.. you can just follow the voice instructions. Plus it doesnt just say "Turn left", for example it will tell you "In 0.2 miles, turn left onto the Navan Road"

Plus the traffic alerts are good too. It will tell you how long the delay is and will reroute you around them if the delay is too long. Or you can hit the Detour button yourself.

Rgds,
JT.

Hi JT,

Thanks for all that info. I settled on a Garmin 775T for €318, only €19 more than the 765T and it has North America and Canadian Maps included which we hope to use next Summer.

Thanks for your help with this.

Paulsgirl.

Hi Paulsgirl,

Glad to be of help. As I mentioned earlier, you may still need to download some software updates.

Here is a link to the Garmin support area... click on the Unit Software link, download the WebUpdater software, and connect to the SatNav.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download.jsp

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do!!

JT.

I have a Tom Tom One XL and cannot fault it. Used it in mainland Europe and worked very well.

Back