Garden Maintenance Business - Feedback Much Appreciated

lola1979

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice please on behalf of my husband.

He's currently working 2 days a week and needs to supplement this income. He has a flair and passion for gardening and has previosuly worked with a contractor in this area so has some experience. He's concerned about going into business himself as has been told that a lot of people are doing this now and driving down the prices. He is a very hard worker though and really wants to work for himself so is prepared to put in the hours. We're trying to figure out if he's mad embarking on this...

We would love to know if there is any specific guidance you could offer based on your own experience with professional garden. Is there any niche that he could focus on that's no currentlly served etc? I had included a survey in my last post which was deleted!

Service Preferences:
Have you used professional garden maintenance services?
What services are you interested in?

Frequency and Duration:
How often would you prefer garden maintenance?

Reasons for Outsourcing:
Main challenges in garden maintenance?
Why consider professional services?

Pricing and Packages:
Preferred pricing model (pay as you go or subscription)?
Average annual spend on professional services.

Any specific things that you would like done or niche areas for people starting out?

Thanks so much for any feedback we greatly appreciated it.

I pay €35 an hour plus VAT per guy for 3-4 guys maybe 3-4 times a year plus about €10 plus VAT per bag of stuff they take away. Probably around €2,000 a year in total with the cost of plants etc.

I pay 120 per year for lawn maintenance in a small front garden. 4 visits per year. Lawn feed and moss/weed treatment. Cut the grass myself. I do this as it was a new lawn on poor soil and I’ve just kept it going.

I also pay a local guy between 50 and 80 euros per visit for general weeding, tidying up, turning soil etc. about 3 times per year also

Partly because I don’t have the time. Partly because I’m not green fingered and would just pull up everything.

Back