Garden for children

annR

We've just purchased a new house with a decent sized back garden (decent by Dublin suburb standards anyway - 10x10sqm) and a nice patch of grass out the front too. Front is directly south facing. Back obviously north facing but gets a fair bit of sun.

My kids (2 and 4) get such mileage out of 3 bushes beside our current driveway,running around the back of them playing 'house' etc that I think I'd like to facilitate them a bit more when deciding what to do with new garden.

Has anyone tried to proactively introduce features for kids - even if it was just something simple like a little path between shrubs or a little archway etc.

Has anyone tried to proactively introduce features for kids - even if it was just something simple like a little path between shrubs or a little archway etc.

I cannot figure out if your garden is big enough but I bought a solid wooden structure for climbing, it has one side that they can climb really high (about as high as a pear tree) and from lower down on that is a slide, and the other side has 3 options, a swing, climbing rope and rings (for doing twists on). Not sure of your budget but it is the best thing I ever bought them. They've had years of fun from it.

Hi Bronte - did you buy that online? Have you any pictures of the structure? Was looking for something similar, but prices are very high for what I had in mind...

As you say, a small archway with a climber over it that will create a nice little den for them.

Boys? Girls? One of each? That'll influence what they'll want from a garden as they get older.

Hi Bronte - did you buy that online? Have you any pictures of the structure? Was looking for something similar, but prices are very high for what I had in mind...

No I went to a place that makes wooden tables for gardens etc. I wanted to see how sturdy it was and what it looked like. Some of them had little play houses on but I was more interested in it being a climbing structure as I believe kids need to climb trees etc. It was about 1K but has been well worth it. And still going strong. It was delievered and put in by 2 men.

I have a path in a loop around the edge of the lawn, great for bikes, scooters, roller blades etc.

And a wooden playhouse with a mini garden enclosed by its own fence. The mini garden has a small yellow brick path and some dwarf apple trees.

All have been used a lot over the past 5 years or so by children from toddlers to 10.

Thanks for replies. Little girl (4) and little boy (2). I doubt garden is big enough for path or a large structure but it's given me some ideas. A little house with a second story with bars etc could do double duty for playing house and climbing. Definitely want to have some kind of den/path behind bushes or under arch.

. A little house with a second story with bars etc could do double duty for playing house and climbing.

The kids who play in my garden make a house out of the structure I outlined above. They use a beach umbrella type thing as walls (it's not an umbrella but a kind of wind shield, in the shape of a long rectangle but has spokes to go into the ground. Cost about 10 Euro. Kids have great imagination. And can make a house or battlefield out of anything. Also for quite a while we had a tent bought in Ikea that they loved fitting out with cushions etc. You can get a mini plastic table too in Ikea, and chairs and tea sets all at reasonable prices. So any kind of basic structure would do for your garden.

The item they will get best use from is a trampoline. I know I know there are lots of issues with them, but anyone who has one can see how much children love them.

Back