Garden design costs

alexandra123

Hello,

Just looking on some feedback here.

I am looking for someone to design my garden. I have spent alot of time looking at pictures and styles on the internet. I know exactly what I want and where I want it. The only thing I am not sure of is plants, colours and patterns.

I got a well recognised designer out last week to have a chat with me, go over my idea's and see if I am doing anything wrong. The cost of the call out service was 100 euro.

I was thinking that it would be nice to get my idea's down on paper and have it drawn out but also for him to tweek the design so that it has a more professional feel to it like a show garden.

The cost of the garden is coming in at around 10k.

The designer has come back and said that for him to just design the garden based on my input would cost just under 1k including vat. I was looking at a price of max around 500 euro. To be honest I think this price is a bit steep.

Is this a normal price for someone to put your design on paper and for them to tweek it a small bit. They are also going to include estimates , etc but 1k is a very hard to swallow.

My garden is an average back garden size. It is not huge !!

1k euro would buy alot if plants. 10k to design a garden is pure madness. :confused:

Agree with first, disagree with second part. If you have any type of paving, patio, feature walls, maybe different levels, nice fencing, plants, etc. then you won't get a lot of change out of 10K if you need to get this all done.
You will have a nice garden though!

reg OP and 1K price - I wouldn't think it is outrageous for a comprehensive design service. you might not require it though if whoever you are hiring to do the works has some design service as well, it might be part of the deal.

I enquired about getting a garden designed recently .... I was quoted €1,000 for a day's visit - arrive about 10.30 a.m. but would be gone by 4.30 p.m. That was the fee - take it or leave it .... I left it! (Further work would be charged at €500 day - charged from their own home office - for as long as it took to get the design on paper)

I enquired about getting a garden designed recently .... I was quoted €1,000 for a day's visit - arrive about 10.30 a.m. but would be gone by 4.30 p.m. That was the fee - take it or leave it .... I left it! (Further work would be charged at €500 day - charged from their own home office - for as long as it took to get the design on paper)
Its official the Celtic tiger has arrived back in ireland

Its official the Celtic tiger has arrived back in ireland

I have seen so called designer gardens that cost thousands to design and I have also seen gardens designed and constructed either by the homeowners themselves or by local handymen. I would pick the secind option anytime. 10k is an outrageous amount of money to pay considering all the materials can be sourced quite cheaply at one's local builders providers or garden center.

Who in their right mind would employ these sort of people, €1000 for 6 hours work, a hospital consultant would hardly earn that, ludicrous to say the least.

10k is a rough price I came up with and based on what I wanted. The garden designer agreed that it would cost around that amount. The designers job is to only provide the design and the quantity of the materials and types of materials I need. He has no interest in completing the work, that is not his area.

10k is about right as I am getting water features, canopy , paving , planting and some flower beds. Actually I think it may be a bit steeper, but that is a rough cost.

Quote {I enquired about getting a garden designed recently .... I was quoted €1,000 for a day's visit - arrive about 10.30 a.m. but would be gone by 4.30 p.m. That was the fee - take it or leave it .... I left it! (Further work would be charged at €500 day - charged from their own home office - for as long as it took to get the design on paper)

thats madness

Is there any reason why you cannot do this yourself? I designed a patio area for the top of my garden and another for the bottom of my garden. Bought the materials in the Patio Centre (honey coloured gravel and sand with block edging) and built it myself for less than €600. I then built flower beds around these areas to include some raised beds for vegetables.
A local handyman can do the more difficult bits if you are not able. Just project manage these bits yourself.
I enjoyed every minute of it and in about an hours time I will be having my second breakfast sitting outside and looking at the new Spring growth popping up all over the place.

10k is a rough price I came up with and based on what I wanted. The garden designer agreed that it would cost around that amount. The designers job is to only provide the design and the quantity of the materials and types of materials I need. He has no interest in completing the work, that is not his area.

10k is about right as I am getting water features, canopy , paving , planting and some flower beds. Actually I think it may be a bit steeper, but that is a rough cost.
Ya no problem spending 10 k on a garden and I can see your point if you are going to spend that kind of money you want it done right. as a landscaper gardener myself I know in the business that when we look at a job if you get the sent of a bit of money around your are more confident of giving a hefty quote. I think this was the case here if you look like you have money they will suck it on.

You are paying for someone's expertise and knowledge. The value they may add to your ideas may end up being the difference between having a nice garden and having a great garden. If you are going to pay over €10k to have the garden done, with €500 extra on the design make that much of a difference. If the going rate is €1,000 and you get someone for €500, you have to ask why? Chances are, they won't know what they are doing.

It all comes down to what you perceive as value for money...

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

When I studied horticulture the rule of thumb regarding the price of a new garden renovation by a professional, is that it costs the same as a new kitchen.

For example, if you've got a big house then it is probably situated on a big site, and probably has a big kitchen. For said house a budget new garden design would cost the same as a B&Q kitchen.
A mid range new garden design would cost the same as an In-House/The Panelling Centre kitchen. A high spec new garden renovation would cost the same as a high spec new kitchen (sorry, dunno the equivalent supplier).

BTW, €10k for a reputable desiginer who will more than likely do a good job, sounds reasonable.

To add to my post above, I've just watched Super Garden on RTE.
A new designer has done a design on a small garden to a Victorian house in Glasnevin.
€5k was her budget, of which €1k was spent on plantings.
Bear in mind that she re-used the previous paving slabs, and also some plantings. All labour was free of charge!

Your €10k is looking more and more like a bargain!

I have thought quite alot about this. I initially told the designer that I would leave it. Since starting the garden - I have had to tear down the shed, so a new one will be built using brick which will cost me probably about an extra 4-5k.
Also - the glass room I wanted is quite expensive - over 10k and I have issues with that and the management company. Now I know i wont get it designed for anything near 10k so I think it is best to spend that small amount compared to the rest of the garden costs to get this designed properly and let the designer look at issues I am currently facing and see if he can work around them and make it come in a bit cheaper.
This garden will be done in phases probably finished by the end of next year.

Back