Gardai entry age

Builder

Is there any exception to the Gardai entry age of 36. I am 38 and have always wanted to be a Gardai but they weren't recruiting before I emigrated. Are there any special qualifications that I could get in order to enter or is it strictly age related. If age related, is this a form of discrimmination?

I know one or two people who entered the guards in recent years, and afaik there was no deviation from entrance requirements - there are a lot more applicants than places.

Certain employers, e.g. the guards, and the Irish Army, are exempt from aspects of equality legislation (if I recall all those newspaper ads correctly).

Hi Builder,

You may also find the following information useful - they are FAQ's on entry requirements to the Gardai (issued on their website). Useful information on the recruitment process and what's involved - along with a film clip of the physical competency tests. (Physical competency tests have replaced the height restriction).

For what it's worth [broken link removed] also reports on some planned changes to the recruitment rules in an attempt to attract more ethnic minority recruits.

Have they not changed the requirement regarding height? Some of the younger recruits are not especially tall.

Carpenter said:
Have they not changed the requirement regarding height? Some of the younger recruits are not especially tall.
Isn't that what CMCR said earlier?
CMCR said:
Physical competency tests have replaced the height restriction

Back