Garda Traffic Corps and possibility of speeding fine.

Re: Garda Traffic Corps

Ireland's speed limits are woefully low in some cases. there are a number of 6 lane dual carriageways in Dublin that have 80kph speed limits. these roads are perfectly capable of handling speed of 120kph (if we gauge their capabilities in direct comparison with our motorways were 120kph is legal)

so they may well have been laughing at the idiocy of our speed limits. :rolleyes:

Do you not listen to news or read newspapers ? some roads may be capable of handling speed, many drivers are clearly not competent to own a vehicle :rolleyes:

I've received a notice in the post saying I was doing 72kmh in a 50kmh on the Portlaosie Rd. Tried ringing the local station in P'laoise to get more info but no answer.
I'm rightly p'ed off as I need to know exactly where this happened. Sending a pic of my plate with this sketchy info is rubbish

I'm interested in this thread but have a question.

Today, heading into work, a squad car was on a slip road down onto the bypass (Athlone) on the opposit side to me.

He was out of the car holding a speed gun to the traffic passing him by and in my forward direction.

I understand that if he registers someone speeding on his side, he can get back into the car to give chase, stop them and show them the evidence.

However, if he was to see someone on my side (the opposit side to him) speeding, what could he do?

I was doing 100kph, and a car overtook me, obviously breaking the speed limit. He seen the guard just after I seen him, and stamped on his breaks. I'm sure the gun would have registered him as being over the limit, and I ended up following the car into town (where I work) but he wasn't stopped by anyone.

So, my question is, would this car have just gotten away with speeding, because the guard was placed on the opposit side?

To get the most accurate reading from the laser, the user must point it as "head-on" to the target as possible (front or rear doesn't matter). The reading from the opposite side of the road/dual carriageway would be lower. (to do with cosines, hypotenuse blah blah. . .)

The traffic on your side of the road will see the guard and slow down and they , and other road users, will get home safely to tell their mates how they outwitted the dumbass guard clocking him from the wrong side of the dual carriageway - that's the desired effect really.

The guard can concentrate on stopping offenders on his own side. There's no box of USA biscuits for the most detections in a day.

It's a bit like fishing - you'll never catch them all!

And, yes, the driver on your side probably did get away with it today. He has to be lucky every day though!;)

Thanks deadwood

I thought in that scenario the origional policeman might have a pal waiting further up, on my side, to catch anyone from the other side.

Back