garda procedure at speed trap

Did she actually say she didnt break the limit or is she just looking for a loophole - she should face the music and get over it as i am sure if she knocked somebody down they wouldnt have gotten over it.... the zone is 50 for a reason!!

Does anyone know if the Gardai are supposed to wear florescent yellow slip when using Speed Gun.

I got done for speeding under the same circumstances last year. The Gardai can wear nothing else but their birthday suit and a hat to do you for speeding. In my case the Garda was lucky that I didn't mow him right over.

derh50 What a stupid attitude to take - grow up & drive responsibly

if she was speeding take the punishment,if not plead not guilty and bring up the question of faulty radar in court.

Does anyone know if the Gardai are supposed to wear florescent yellow slip when using Speed Gun. I was stopped recently - the Garda jumped out from behind a pole - in dark uniform. Impossible to see!

Able to hide behind a pole ? You wouldn't see a fellow like that if he turned sideways - no matter what he was wearing.

"An impossible task"
I don't know about that. Difficult I'll concede, but not impossible.

There are a whole pile of questions here, even if incorrect calibration cannot be proven: When was it calibrated? When was it due for recalibration. Was it recalibrated within the manufacturer's recommended time period? Was it repaired? Were original manufacturer's certified parts used? Was it recalibrated following repairs? Who calibrated it? Were they trained? Was the operator/garda trained?

I've often wondered about these. Frankly I'd be surprised if the validation trail held up. Marathon Man - another Engineer!

I worked for many years as a Calibration Engineer (not on speed cameras) "Marathon Man" made some pertinent point. I would like to also know the accuracy of the camera because there should be an uncertainty ration of 4 to 1, ie if the camera is 1 mph accurate, the checked speed should be a minimum of 4 mph. Also if the camera was to be out of the certified calibration accuracy when checked, anyone back the last calibration date could have been falsely prosecuted. I think you will find the the calibration frequency would be months of even annually.
Daily calibration refers the car, it should be checked each day if it is being used to monitor speed, for example tyre wear can effect the accuracy.
If someone is blatantly speeding they should be prosecuted, but there is always doubt when only a few mph is quoted.

Back