Garda presence over the weekend

LouisLaLoope

I drove from Dublin to Waterford and back this weekend and didn't see a single Garda car. No speed traps. No breath-testing. No random checks of any kind. I expected to see them all over the place, given the bank holiday weekend. Just wondering what other AAM readers noticed?

Likewise, there's three spots around our area in Meath where the gardai always do speed checks - nothing, not a sign of a garda car this weekend.

There were 4 or 5 stopping people for breaking the 50 km/h speed limit on the road from the Port Tunnel to the East Link just at the Point Depot site yesterday afternoon. Dangerous stuff alright.....probably stopping people doing 60 on a wide road with very little traffic around. Resources well used as usual.

Numerous checks in Cork over the weekend; tax checks, drink driving checks and also a customs check.

One speed check this morning on Cork/Limerick road. Saw none over the weekend.

There was a large presence on the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway. They had stopped a number of U.K. registered cars that were making their way from the Dun Laoghaire car ferry towards the city centre.

BOXtheFOX;681704 They had stopped a number of U.K. registered cars that were making their way from the Dun Laoghaire car ferry towards the city centre.[/quote said:
not a very nice welcome fo our UK visitors to the country!

got breathalysed on friday evening on pembroke street at 7pm they were checking one in 5 cars or something.
saw a speed check on the m1 heading north yesterday evening (i was heading south).

Drove to Galway last Wednesday from Dublin came back on Sunday no sign of any checks.

The Gardaí were doing an excellent job managing the banter in Galway. It is the Galway Gardaí's pragmatic approach that allows Galway Race to be such a fun festival.

Alright so - it's good to hear that they were out in force in some places. I was just so surprised not to see any on my journey. 200 plus miles and not a copper in sight!!

Alright so - it's good to hear that they were out in force in some places. I was just so surprised not to see any on my journey. 200 plus miles and not a copper in sight!!

A lot of the traffic corps use unmarked cars. Just because you didn't see them, doesn't mean they weren't there...

I was stopped for check of discs on Friday night and was forced off the road yesterday by a squad car and an unmarked car rushing to assist a speed check garda on the Limerick/ Cork road.

Well, in fairness, they can't be everywhere all the time.

The only gardai I saw over the weekend was drinking in a pub sunday night. He was off duty of course.

Got stopped on the Belgard road in Dublin yesterday evening, checking for tax etc. They had 3 cars pulled in, all early 90s regs

They were doing random breath tests on the South Quays, close to Guinnesses on Friday evening at 7.30pm.

We get a post like this after every bank holiday weekend. More often than not they conceal themselves while conducting speed checks. There is also the use of unmarked cars for traffic policing on most of our main routes.

Back